Shocks for older 4WD...Pro Comp vs. Rancho

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1994 Ranger 4WD needs shocks. I am thinking of Pro Comp ES1000s or Rancho RS5000s right now. Anyone (Jeep people?) have any experience with either of the above? Looks like the Pro Comps would run me $33 a piece and the Ranchos $45-$47 a piece.

Right now the truck has what appears to be the factory shocks. They are beyond worn out. I want something good for light off roading and street use, with good durability/longevity. Would Ranchos have an advantage over Pro Comps, or would I just be paying for the label?

Cheap suspesion kit shocks are all the same it seems. I have on my rough county garbage gas shocks about 5 years on em and are just as the day I lifted the jeep. If you want to put thought into shock get something worth the thinking about. Ome or bilstines. Otherwise just get em cheap and hope for the best.

I have no idea on the Pro Comps, but I just installed a set of Rancho RS5000 shocks on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, and they have been great. Ride a bit stiffer, but a big upgrade over stock factory shocks. I would recommend them.

I bought them on a buy 3 get 1 free sale, and used an AAP coupon code to save a boatload of money on them. Good luck!

I am just going to post a suggestion which you didt ask for: Consider Monroe Reflex's. Assuming they make them for your truck and you have an AAP around you, they are an excellent deal. Look in the deals sub-forum and you can get a promo code too.

I had Pro Comp MX6 adjustable shocks on my Jeep when I first lifted it. The didnt even last 35k before failing and my Jeep is nothing but a mall crawler. No extreme speeds in uneven terrain, excessive articulation, extreme towing etc. (They failed when most of my driving was highway.) I realize they arent the same as what youre refering to, but I am done with their brand. While the manufacture didnt return my 2 emails, the place I bought them from told me to pound sand too. Despite them bragging that they can take salt spray and not corrode, mine looked horrible. I assume this was for the people who never left pavement. My road was dirt at that time so I imagine the rocks are what did the shocks in and voided that part of the lifetime warranty. No biggy. I disregarded that flaw. The leaking is what made me attempt to contact them. The white shocks sure looked sharp under the Jeep though.

As far as a Jeep guy chiming in, I am not one of them. I like Jeeps, but that's about it. I don't know too much about them. I had originally asked about Rancho when I first lifted my Jeep and was told to avoid them. This could be the equivalent of me reading on the web not to use Fram either though.
21.gif
(I guess MX6 shocks were referred to me at that time too.
crackmeup2.gif
)

Either way, look into the Reflex's. I want to say they are around $55.

Last edited:
I like the Bilsteins (Germany) or KYB (Japan).

For your truck use Blistein 5100 or Stock Replacement 4800.

The KYB Gas-A-Just is a stock replacement type, others are off-road types.

Good prices at Summit Racing dotcom

I've used the KYB on ½ ton trucks with good results, no leaking, and a couple thousand miles of some fairly rough (gravel, rocks, potholes with a full load in the box) 50 mph highway use. Held up well, ride is excellent.

Am going to try the Bilsteins on my 96 Ram, have them (different series than above) on a Miata and they are outstanding on that car.

Last edited:
Get Bilstein and don't look back. Bilstein shocks are awesome. $265 for the set of four at shox.com

If you don't like Bilstein for some reason, then go for KYB MonoMax, Tokico Trekmaster (green), Gabriel Max Control, or Monroe Reflex.

But really, get Bilstein if possible.

Your 21 year old truck has the OEM shocks..... anything you buy is going to be better than what you've been running for.. 10 or 15 years...unless you just bought it then never mind!

Just recently bought the 02 Xterra, it has fairly new KYB Gas-Adjusts that seem OK, not too stiff.

Last edited:
I have run both and prefer the Procomps. IMHO The Bilsteins are better than both of those. Another cheaper shock that work great on the Rangers are Gabriel Ultras. I used to do a lot of off roading and have run all of these at one time or another.

Recall a lot of comments about the 5000's being too stiff on the Cherokee's for on road use. I used the Monroe Reflex shocks in my Cherokee and found them to be very firm.

I used the Monroe Reflex shocks in my F150's, and they've been good in that application.

No experience with shocks for the Ranger. Basic point is what works well in one platform may not in another - so the Jeep experience may not apply.

I really liked Bilsteins in the past but for the price I have also really Monroe Reflexs. I even have them on my Equinox and granted it isn't a truck but The shocks have great control without sacrificing ride comfort.

If you want an affordable off the shelf solution, Bilstien are always a good bet.
If you want the very best available, Leda will make and valve whatever you want, to whatever numbers you want to spec.

You will not go wrong w/ Bilsteins. That being said, I have a set of Pro-Comp ES9000's on my old Land Rover and I am happy with them through mostly road work with a fair amount of off roading. But with that particular vehicle, I am not sure dampers make much of a difference.

I see the blue and yellow Bilsteins under a lot of Ram pickups hereabouts. KONI also makes great adjustable shocks, but their marketing seems hit and miss.

Rancho is a monroe product. I'm going to give another vote for the monroe reflex. They don't make as many reflex offerings but the valving is acceleration-biased like bilstein. I had a set on a lifted jeep and on the rear of the minivan-- they are compliant yet controlled. I have bilsteins on my truck but actually prefer the feel of the monroe reflexes. I would not buy a lesser model of monroe however.

I'm not very familiar with pro-comp.

The gabriel ultra's also get very good reviews on heavy vehicles from SteveSrt8

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's a Reflex for the front of my application. Rockauto showed a rear part # only, so I went on the Monroe application look up, and sure enough they show NO Reflexes for that truck, front or rear. Oh well.

The shox.com deal on four Bilsteins is really good. Better than when I priced a set for my 2WD. Kind of tempted even though this truck isn't driven a ton.

The Gabriel Ultras for this truck are dirt cheap. $17 a piece. I have had less than stellar experiences with cheap Monroe shocks (Gas Matic, Monroe Matic lines), but I may be willing to give Gabriel a shot.

Interesting to see the widely varying opinions/experiences with Rancho. I figured Rancho had probably drifted to "just a name" status, but I was hoping they were good in general and worth the money because it would be a very period-correct shock for the truck. Rancho was all you saw in every off road magazine in the early 1990s.

Pro Comp is a house brand of 4Wheel Parts, but I do not know who makes their shocks. 4WP seemed pretty respected when I bought parts from them for my Explorer, but that was 7+ years ago.

based on that I would go with the ultras or bilsteins. Steve swears by the ultras as they use them in his fleet. Bilstein makes a good shock though I've been a bit underwhelmed by the set on my truck -- too soft in the back and too firm up front. There may be a big enough price difference between the two to justify a cost-based decision.

Current plan is to get some Gabriel Ultras, see how I like them, and go from there. If I hate the Gabriels for whatever reason, I'm out less than $100 and will just skip right ahead to Bilsteins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back