2007 Harley Dyna Front Brake Light Switch Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Street Bob, and the front brake light is really slow to go off. I searched around on the forums, and pretty much conclude the front master cylinder needs rebuilding because the seals swell and the piston is slow to return to move the switch. Have any other Harley guys experienced this issue? Bike seems kind of new to have issues w/master cyl. Thanks. BTW I tried the trick w/spraying W/D 40 around the switch and it worked for a very short time.

Thanks for the tip, Cahuna. I bled the brakes and cleaned out the sludge inside the master cylinder and it works well. Time will tell, but it was pretty nasty in there. I think the issue is resolved.

I had a 2006 Lowrider and would flush my brake fluid annually with my oil changes. The garbage that pumped out of the caliper was always nasty looking. Most likely water intrusion from riding in the rain. I installed a set of speed bleeders and that helped a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Thanks for the tip, Cahuna. I bled the brakes and cleaned out the sludge inside the master cylinder and it works well. Time will tell, but it was pretty nasty in there. I think the issue is resolved.
Cool, that's what were here for.,,,,

The light has been working fine ever since I bled the brakes and cleaned out the master cyl. It has never been bled before. I guess I learned my lesson. I will be bleeding it out every year front and rear. BTW the rear master cyl looked pretty nasty too. Now I'm wondering about changing out my shock fluid, but I don't see any drain screws on the forks.

Harley shocks aren't designed to have the shock fluid changed. I'm not saying it can't be done, just expect it to be a PITA. How many miles on the shocks? I wouldn't think about that until they have 50k on them.,,

if you have changed grips or taken apart the brake side housing chances are the very fragile plunger was damaged. happened on my 06 sportster. replacements cheap from drag specialties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back