front brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the dust issue is there any real difference in performance between semi metallic and ceramic pads?
This would be for an 06 Sentra daily driver.

There differences between good pads and cheap ones. I think one type also lasts longer than the other.

I'd recommend Akebono ProACT or Wagner Thermoquiet.

Semi Metallic has a better bite.Thus more stopping power.Ceramic is quieter and the dust isn't black.Some vehicles only spec Metallic (like police cars...etc)due to the braking demands.

Look for pad markings on the back plate if you can see the pads in person. Ask the parts person to take a look at their pads.

Compare the last two letters and make sure you get at least FF rated pads regardless of composition. Avoid EE or FE pads.

A premium ceramic pad may also have much less noise when cold or during normal operation.

The top of the line pads at most any parts store are good if you want to shop locally, the Duralast Gold CMAX or Wearever Gold/Platinum are good stuff, i am having a really good experience with my Wearever Platinum Ceramics from Advance Auto i got with a coupon code.

If you want to shop online, Akebono makes some of our favorite products on the forum.

2ppxzxw.png

Good info to have. To the op, unless you really need the bite of semi metallic, I'd go with ceramic because it's quieter and doesn't make a huge dust mess. Unless you're towing anything with your sentra, the difference in performance wouldn't be that big.
Make sure your front suspension is in good shape if you want good safe stopping.

Pretty much any brand is fine on the back...

Don't cheap out on front pads... they do 80 + percent of your braking ...

Hawk HPS were very good on my previous car, good bite, sort of quiet,, and not too dusty.

A friend put the exact same pads on their car... and complained about the brake dust, and said they were "grindy..." and squeeked too much...

Your mileage may vary...

Last edited:
Akebono Ultra pads are usually GG rated, which is a hard rating to find on oem replacement pads, most top pads are just FF rated, my Wearever Platinums and my buddies Duralast Cmax are FF rated.

Also Ceramic is a loaded marketing word, so make sure you buy a reputable brand and it has letter gradings before installing. Avoid cheap Ebay ceramic pads which are usually the culprits.

The generalizations often repeated in these types of threads about semi-metallic pads biting more than ceramic are not really accurate.

What matters is the specific pad you're considering. There are poor-quality semi-metallic pads that stop poorly and good quality ceramic pads that have high friction ratings and stop well.

Terms like "semi-metallic" and "ceramic" really don't mean that much. What's more important is buying a quality pad from a reputable brand that is aimed at your driving conditions and needs.

Cold braking performance, on a street "daily driver", is more important than hot braking performance.
Genuine "High Performance" brake pads work better hot than cold. You generally don't want that type of pad. Exceptions would be if you live somewhere where you do actually heat the pads ... think switchbacks, downhill, hard braking more than once per minute.
You do not heat the pads enough if all you do is regular stop-and-go traffic or one or two hard braking incidents in a short period of time.

A good street pad has best cold performance, so that when you are on a typical drive, you can make one hard stop in what would be a collision avoidance situation.

Hawk HPS ($65/axle) are about the closest to a High Performance pad you want on a street car-type vehicle (trucks or heavy SUV's take a different pad). Having said that, most people don't need a pad of this calibre. A premium semi-metallic pad from your favourite aftermarket vendor should be fine.

If you are looking at brake pad comparison tests (Car & Driver, etc) be sure the vehicle under test is similar to yours weight-wise. Lighter vehicles have different requirements than heavy vehicles.

Strictly follow the break-in guidelines that come with the pads. Makes a huge difference in braking performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
There differences between good pads and cheap ones. I think one type also lasts longer than the other.

+1

You'll see the Akebono and Themoquiet pads repeated recommended on here.

I prefer to use the type pad the OEM specified - Semi-metallic pads where thats what came from the factory, and ceramics where that is what came from the factory.

As far as dust goes, if that is the concern, look for pads with a reputation for not having dust problems. Thermoquiets are consistently one of those.

As far as the Edge codes go, note that every Thermoquiet pad I've gotten has had an EE rating. I've run too many sets of them to count, and gotten good life, quiet and dust free performance, and good braking action.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Akebono Ultra pads are usually GG rated, which is a hard rating to find on oem replacement pads, most top pads are just FF rated, my Wearever Platinums and my buddies Duralast Cmax are FF rated.

Also Ceramic is a loaded marketing word, so make sure you buy a reputable brand and it has letter gradings before installing. Avoid cheap Ebay ceramic pads which are usually the culprits.

These are the Akebono Pro-act ASP high performance pads I recently installed on Kitacam...note the GG code rating....they work great...

tpmnhn.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer OEM or OEM supplier if possible, otherwise I've had good luck with Monroe Total Solution, Bendix CT3(now made in China but seem to be working fine on the parent's Sienna) and mixed results with Wagner ThermoQuiets - the ones for a Lexus app were GF rated, while ones for a friend's Subaru were FF rated.

However, Wagner does spec EE-rated friction for ThermoQuiet semi-metallic pads with MX part numbers, caveat emptor.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

+1
You'll see the Akebono and Themoquiet pads repeated recommended on here.

+++++ on the Akebono ceramic pads. An excellent product! Akebono manufactures the OEM brake pads for several car manufacturers.

My favorite pads are the ones that are 40 or 50 percent off using the advance auto coupon.

I buy their platinum or gold line and have never had a problem.

Both are usually ceramic pads.

geeman789 said:
Pretty much any brand is fine on the back...

Don't cheap out on front pads... they do 80 + percent of your braking ...

Ford Edge has 4 channel ABS with 4 separate channels, not just front and rear. And it can modulate the brakes to each wheel individually. I do know the rear brakes wear out faster than the fronts (also happening on other brands, not just Fords), but it's not a simple front/rear bias. It also has electronic brake force distribution which means the actual bias front to rear is always changing, depending on how hard you press the pedal. It starts off fairly rear biased on light braking, then builds up more pressure in the fronts as you brake harder. Of course once you're into ABS, the actual bias can be anything depending on the traction available.

Go with semi-metallic as it has better fade resistance.

I hate ceramic, all the ones I've used ruined rotors when they get too hot by imprinting themselves on the rotor and causing vibrations.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

These are the Akebono Pro-act ASP high performance pads I recently installed on Kitacam...note the GG code rating....they work great...

tpmnhn.jpg

Yes GG pads are great for stopping power but I have never used anything higher than FF for fear of too much dust.

How are your GG pads dusting the wheels? Heavy dusting ?

I recently installed Hawk HPS pads in newly remanufactured calipers, according the the directions on the box, and then did a Bedding in procedure. They have no friction ratings I could find.

However, they are by far the best pads I have used. Quiet and grippy. My brakes have never felt stronger. My previous pads were Bendix TitaniuMettallic2, and those were a vast improvement over the long life Napa pads I had in previously. the Hawks Blow away the Bendix in terms of stopping power.

The Bendix were noisy too, and wore badly, unevenly, my previous calipers were not leaking, but old and suspect in the uneven wear.

Cannot report on Dust yet on the Hawk HPS, but they certainly me a lot of confidence in stopping ability.

Good grip cold too, but grip increases when they warm up some. that first stop, one needs to decrease brake pressure to keep same braking rate.

Yes GG pads are great for stopping power but I have never used anything higher than FF for fear of too much dust.

How are your GG pads dusting the wheels? Heavy dusting ?

None at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back