Cheap insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost without exception, every time the topic of oil change intervals comes up, someone will recommend changing early. "It's cheap insurance" being the reasoning.

I wonder what an actuary would say about that because I tend to think that frequent oil changes are actually quite expensive insurance when you consider the cost of changing oil, the likelihood of oil-related engine failure and the unknown factor of whether and by how much those more frequent changes reduce the likelihood of engine failure.

Just some round numbers. My 2007 Ford Fusion recommends 7,500 mile OCIs. If I change every 7,500 miles, that is 20 oil changes to drive 150,000 miles. Changing every 3,000 would mean 50 oil changes in the same time.

At $25 per oil change, those 30 extra changes would cost $750 and would have an unknown but likely small or nonexistent effect on the probability that my car will suffer an oil-related engine failure.

That seems like very expensive insurance.

I do like stretching out the use of oil, but I don't like taking it to its limit. My last oil change was at 10k miles, the viscosity was still fairly good and the TBN was still at 4.4 but squeezing everything out isn't what I want to do. Oil changes are cheap, especially if you compare it to the cost of gas during that 150,000 miles. That would be $16,500 in gas at 25 mpg and 150,000 miles at $2.75 per gallon. Oil changes cost almost nothing.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Almost without exception, every time the topic of oil change intervals comes up, someone will recommend changing early. "It's cheap insurance" being the reasoning.

I wonder what an actuary would say about that because I tend to think that frequent oil changes are actually quite expensive insurance when you consider the cost of changing oil, the likelihood of oil-related engine failure and the unknown factor of whether and by how much those more frequent changes reduce the likelihood of engine failure.

Just some round numbers. My 2007 Ford Fusion recommends 7,500 mile OCIs. If I change every 7,500 miles, that is 20 oil changes to drive 150,000 miles. Changing every 3,000 would mean 50 oil changes in the same time.

At $25 per oil change, those 30 extra changes would cost $750 and would have an unknown but likely small or nonexistent effect on the probability that my car will suffer an oil-related engine failure.

That seems like very expensive insurance.
you got it, I have had about 20 cars and have admittedly neglected the oci in many, never an oil related problem, modern oils are so up to the job.

I change at 5K miles. I believe that those 12K+ oil changes do exactly that, keep the expense of oil changes down but it's uncertain if the increased wear is worth the savings. In my case I tend to keep one car for myself and one for my wife a long time. I may own other cars too but I always keep 2 daily drivers. For me, doing UOA's helped me to establish the 5K interval and it's working well. Since I do almost all my own maintenance it's also a time to check everything else, too. The oil change is only one part of the process.

My Honda is still doing great after 31 years of ownership and I consider the 4Runner an almost new vehicle.

It's a rationalization for spending money that doesn't need to be spent. There are a lot of things people on BITOG do and recommend without any data to prove they actually have any effect on the longevity of a vehicle or produce any long term cost savings.

An actuary would tell you that everyone, on average, would save money by not buying any insurance. Insurance companies make money by paying out less than they take in.

You also have to extend your the mileage in your example to lifetime miles. It might be 150k miles per vehicle but a person might drive a million miles in a lifetime. All those extra oil changes add up.

yes, saving money and reducing oil changes, that's probably the single biggest marketing tool used by Amsoil.

It's also what sets M1 EP apart from regular M1. M1 use to claim 25k mile oil changes as well back in the day, but most people are just not comfortable with those distances. but 10-15k i think most are ok with especially with many manufactures now recommending 10k mile OCI's.

The days of 3k mile oil changes are nearly history everywhere but in American quick lubes.

I usually fall in the 5-10k mile range. my problem is i enjoy changing my oil.

Last edited:
Consider an average of 12,000 miles per year. To reach 150,000 miles that would take 12.5 years. At $25/oci that's $100/year; less if you buy what's on sale and make a stash like many a bitoger. For instance, chevron supreme is regularly on sale for $2/qt where I'm at, that plus a $3 store brand wix comes to $11 per oci, or $44/year. Over 12.5 years that's $550. If you run short oci's as cheap insurance spending $25 per change is a little over the top IMO.

It does add up, value of the vehicle should come into play also. How cost effective is "cheap insurance" for a vehicle worth $1000-$2000.

I for the most part have always done 5k-7.5k on conventional (name brand). Now that I'm using synthetic in the Regal I can justify the cost since the car doesn't really have to many miles on it.

In the long run the cheap insurance would never pay off. However standing at a owners point of view I don't necessarily mind dumping my oil at 7.5k miles in the hopes I get another 100k miles out of the vehicle.

Who knows those I might wreck the car next week and all that cheap insurance was for nothing.

I change it myself for around $16-$18 every 4,000-5,000 miles or so. I know people who can spend that at an espresso stand almost daily, so in the grand scheme of things it's not that expensive to me. I also try to squeeze every possible mile out of my cars though lol

I change every 3000miles with syn.
smile.gif

of course that is following the owners manual for my 2015 forester severe service schedule.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I change it myself for around $16-$18 every 4,000-5,000 miles or so. I know people who can spend that at an espresso stand almost daily, so in the grand scheme of things it's not that expensive to me. I also try to squeeze every possible mile out of my cars though lol

That's some expensive latte.

The issue isn't how much you spend on oil changes or how often, the issue is the belief that it's a smart fiscal decision or that it saves you money "in the long run".

Some people just like to change their oil. Nothing wrong with that. It's kinda fun poking around the car and changing parts out before they wear out and have a chance to cause problems.

It's one of the most pricey things(along with a house) that you are going to buy-I fail to see why a few extra bucks are going to be a big deal....

I still run a full synthetic and good filter in a 12 year old car worth like 2 grand for 5-6k...because I can! (and the car does lots of city driving) Car still runs like it did 100k ago......

How many men and women have died in these armed conflicts over oil in the Middle East?

For oil.

Yep. Sure is cheap insurance. Keep sends nag your youth to die so oil can be "cheap" to the consumer.

I guess the big picture is too much to comprehend.

But yeah. Cheap insurance. Compare it to a coffee a day or whatever nonsense.

Spin it however you like.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
My 2007 Ford Fusion recommends 7,500 mile OCIs.

There's no way I could go that far without changing the oil - not with how dirty it gets. If you can, you got more nerve than I do.

That is true.. We have sent our soldiers to fight for our national interest in the middle east. Now that we have the great potential to relieve ourselves of that dependency it is the left wing progressives who stand in the way. Funny and ironic isn't it. Complain about sending our troops to fight for oil, then stand in the way of retrieving our own.
If you love $8 to $10 a gallon for gas then move to Europe. Which left wing nuts would love to see here. And shutting down coal fired power plants would according to Obama himself would necessarily cause electric bills to go up a lot. Another lovely idea of left wing people.
For the record I don't believe in zero consideration for the environment in which we live. We must find ways to conserve and better ways to produce energy. There just needs to be a balanced approach to how we proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back