20 gal/year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just loaded up all of my recycle oil to get rid of it and realized that since i moved 25 miles from town (for the last 10 years or so) i have been taking in about 20 gallons of used oil every year to be recycled.

to be honest, i was at 20 gallons this morning, i'm at 30 gallons this evening because my 10 qt hydraulic fluid change on the tractor turned into about 12 gallons. each axle housing is listed as holding 5qts, but apparently the right side housing is tied into the rest of the hydraulic system, so before i knew it my drain pan was nearly over flowing with no signs of the stream letting up. but i digress.

anyway, not bragging or anything, just wondering how much oil others are going through in a year.

Between my car and my girlfriend's car I'd estimate 15qts for the cavalier (4.5qt sump but I use a larger filter and use an even 5) and 16 qts for the Mazda and it's 4qt sump. She's dead set on dino only and beats on the car with lots of city short tripping so I keep the oci short and sweet.

So a grand total of 7.75 gal.

20 gal/ yr sounds good for me. It'd be less but an ATF change/ flush can go through a couple few gallons.

Each car takes about a gallon of oil every 4 months or so. Adding ATF changes and OPE oil changes into the mix makes it about 8 gallons a year or so.

Originally Posted By: meborder
I just loaded up all of my recycle oil to get rid of it and realized that since i moved 25 miles from town (for the last 10 years or so) i have been taking in about 20 gallons of used oil every year to be recycled.

to be honest, i was at 20 gallons this morning, i'm at 30 gallons this evening because my 10 qt hydraulic fluid change on the tractor turned into about 12 gallons. each axle housing is listed as holding 5qts, but apparently the right side housing is tied into the rest of the hydraulic system, so before i knew it my drain pan was nearly over flowing with no signs of the stream letting up. but i digress.

anyway, not bragging or anything, just wondering how much oil others are going through in a year.

I asked my local indy shop if I would get a discount for all the used oil I bring him to heat his shop. I think he is still thinking about it. Not holding my breath.

Maybe 5 gal/yr. Cummins is 3 gallons by itself for one oil change.

I have been doing 2 oil changes on the Focus (5 quarts) and 1 change on the Cherokee (6 quarts) the past year or two. So about 4 gallons.

Transmission fluid is about another gallon and I do that once a year on the Cherokee.

Whenever I go to recycle oil at the local stores, I get hassled if I have more than 5gals, and if any of it smells "weird".. I'm surprised that some are actually getting benefits from recycling their used stock!

Previous years when we were driving long distances to work and racking up 29k on each of two vehicles, it was about 50 quarts/year.

Now with once per year changes for 3 vehicles, it's 17 quarts a year.

I'm counting about 92 quarts of engine oil. 2 OCIs in most vehicles I service as well as the yearly OCI in OPE, tractors etc. Itd be more if I factored ATF, gear oil etc.

A friend in the recycling business gets $1.2 per gallon on used oil. Nobody at the car parts store should be hassling you. While most places have limits, they are getting money from it. If they find it a big deal, they don't see the bigger picture.

When we built our house and moved 10 years ago, I got behind on some housekeeping issues, with living in 2 places 1200 miles apart, over a period of 15 months. I kept up with maintenance, just not disposal.

I actually wound up moving jugs of used oil, in the final push. About 6 months after we finished the new house, I got around to getting all my used oil in one place.....And I had accumulated over 20 gallons! It took me trips to 3 different places, to dispose of it all. I draw the limit at 5 gallons, ever since.

Currently have over 30 gallons on site. Wish I could burn it in my fuel oil heater somehow.

9-10 quarts a year. I only change the oil on one car, it takes 4.5 quarts of oil and I change the oil twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back