Any CV axle rebuilders besides raxles that don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was researching oil filters for my Nissan, I ended up on the mailing list of a bunch of chinese suppliers.

They can have entire drive shafts FOB for less than $20 FOB...must buy 300 or so of the same.

Some Oz reconditioners just flipped them, driving on the reverse side, and chattering when going backwards.

They should never "rebuilt" CV shafts with machining,they should source Chinese made CV joints and reassemble them on the old shaft.That would take a lot of the labor out of the operation and in volume,the Chinese made CVs price would come down.Big problem I see is cheap rubber boots.I replaced a shaft 2 years ago and the boot is dry rotting and cracking already.OEM lasts many years,replacement cant last 2.Thats planned obsolescence.1 year warranty but the boot rots out in 2.

I've heard that Cardone Axles are pretty good. I will be installing them based on recommendation of my VW / Audi / MB / Porsche mechanic in my 2004 Passat.

Harder to get good parts now, more than ever. I bought an advance auto parts counterfeit wiper arm for my wife's blazer in a pinch. A year later, all of the black paint has fallen of and it is now brown with rust. The original lasted 14 years, the spline gave out, but the finish was still on it.

Cardone is cheap trash, there is no other way to say it. Their rebuilds are horrific, they regrind and the new ones are cheap Chinese.
I got a couple of good clean used ones and rebooted them for the VW, best way t do these without buying new if the original joints are toast.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Cardone is cheap trash, there is no other way to say it. Their rebuilds are horrific, they regrind and the new ones are cheap Chinese.
I got a couple of good clean used ones and rebooted them for the VW, best way t do these without buying new if the original joints are toast.

I have used Cardone Select, which are new parts. They appear to be fairly good quality, fit perfect and so far after about 40k miles have performed great. They were not made in a China, but that may have changed over the past several years.

I checked one out late last year, it was Chinese. The boots are cheap neoprene not thermo plastic like OE.
The shaft thickness was a smaller diameter than OE. You have to be careful with Cardone like most other ream and aftermarket new the quality can be real sketchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back