Comments on 2004 Mercedes S430 ~100K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread started I found a close friend of mine recently purchased an 03 C32 AMG. He had a $1200 repair required the day after he purchased (which the PO paid for half of the repair).

I have started looking a little closer and large MB coupe's to replace the e30. Not sure if I'd take the plunge, but the reviews of them are a mix of appealing and interesting

I think C class was worse than E and S class. Early suv's weren't that great either. It seems the newer they are, the better they are in reliability. I noticed that they changed the design in the last few years on the keyless go door handles which also typically goes bad when water gets into the switches, now it looks like it's a solid piece with more of a touch sensor.

I visited the dealer again. The door closure system is functioning. But the car does not have the trunk closure option. The manager said that this one does NOT have the ceramic clear coat. So if I have to do it myself, I have all the necessary tools and supplies to make the paint swirl free.

As some of you have mentioned, this is indeed a "stripped" S-class and lacks bunch of options. However, it does seem to be maintained well and I can get the history of it.

I have not driven it yet though.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I visited the dealer again.

I have not driven it yet though.

You afraid you'll buy it?

little bit of that too! I drove there in my 1999 4-cyl Camry; no way I am test driving that S-class while my beloved Camry sits in their parking lot! I wonder if they will ask me to park that eyesore on the backside of the store before going on the test drive!

Seriously, I will drive it once I know every thing else lines up. I don't want to be seduced before I am ready. I also need to figure out which of the four vehicle I have to get rid of before this would be allowed in the stable.

I'm surprised they're even still talking to you after they heard your accent and saw you in a Camry.
smile.gif

I was smart; when I visited them first time, I took the Acura with me. With my accents, they probably think I am an internet billionaire :)

I was smart; when I visited them first time, I took the Acura with me. With my accents, they probably think I am an internet billionaire :)

How do you know you'll actually like it. I remember buying a car(2004 WRX) loving everything about it before I actually drove it.

I think I was tainted in test drive because (a few months) latter I noticed it was a really cheap car, rubberband power curve, gutless with AC on in traffic and miserable daily driver. I will state a flawless reliable car in 8 years of ownership, massive resale in 8 years(50%), absolute hoot in the snow and driving like a nut.

You should drive it, you may find that it doesn't interest you. I have been prepared to buy a car in the past based on all the specs and hype, drove it and felt no connection with the car (not a Mercedes)

Or you may fall in love...

But it would be good to find out.

Oh, if the Merc software is as much in German as the BMW software, Google has a great translator you can use on your phone, point it at the computer screen and it will translate to English real-time.

Last edited:
One thing I will add, these cars are solid and give you the impression that you are driving a really well engineered machine. I prefer BMW's, but appreciate the big Mercedes.

They do take money to play, but they also feel like money if you keep them in good shape. A well maintained new or old S class will impress anyone who rides in it - not because of the badge or price - but because of the luxury and solidity. Obviously, impressing people is not a concern, but it is nice to have a nice car.

Everyone is always happy to ride in my E. I'd have to say that when you close the doors, it makes the classic solid thunk you'd expect. But driving wise, took me a little bit to get used to it, I think it's an MB thing, but the gas pedal isn't as aggressive, some models you just give it a slight tap and it takes off, but if you want to take off, you really have to put your foot into it. Drove an SL before and it was the same way. Brakes are really good though. Mine doesn't have SBC though and some don't like SBC, some say it's too instant on as it's basically brake by wire.

And Star Diagnostic/Xentry does come in english for the techs in America.

And it took me a while to find my E because I wanted the options on it. I noticed that price wise, it didn't really have any effect so you mind as well get one that's loaded for the same price if you're willing to wait and are not in a rush. Some of the stuff that can go bad like the sunroof, keyless go, rear sunshade, trunk closer, you just don't have to fix if they break and you don't want to spend the money on it.

Here's a 2005 S500 in Florida for 10k with 84k.

http://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-vehicles/583721-fs-2005-s500-4matic-85k-miles-10-000-a.html

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
For $10,000 you can find a very nice Accord or Camry.

This is a long thread, but let me refresh your memory -

Buy an Accord or Camry for the same money.

Many of the concerns raised were answered before but here they are in one place.

1) We already have our Accord/Camry; We purchased Acura TL to cover that part of the equation! We can rest that issue now.

Maybe if you suggest an Accord/Camry a third time OP will be excited enough to go buy one. I'm sure a tan one with plastic wheel covers would really get the OP going.

For $10,000 you can find a very nice Accord or Camry.

Wow! Really?
I am now extremely enthusiastic about going car shopping!!!

Did you miss the part about me driving my Camry to the fancy place where this s-class is for sale? :) Now granted that nobdoy is going to mistake this Camry for a nice car, not with windows taped shut and home fixed body work but still a Camry!

Last edited:
somebody mentioned doing oil change in tie and suit; how do you handle removing the cartridge filter and replacing at least three o-rings on a typical MB engine? I have not seen a dirtier oil change than that!

somebody mentioned doing oil change in tie and suit; how do you handle removing the cartridge filter and replacing at least three o-rings on a typical MB engine? I have not seen a dirtier oil change than that!

The first thing you do is loosen the oil filter cap completely, set it on the top of the filter holder let the oil drain back into the engine. Then you assemble the oil extractor tubes and start siphon the oil via dipstick tube after removed the oil fill cap.

By the time the oil starts to flow into the oil extractor reservoir most oil from filter holder dripped into engine already, and you can start changing the 4 o-rings and cartridge filter. Placing the filter holder on some old news paper, with couple grocery bags you can do the filter without get your hands dirty. Few drops of oil will be catched by the news paper.

You still get both the hands dirty, correct? With traditional filter and drain-plug, I always had one hand clean to grab napkin or towel to clean the dirty hand. Although, it had been a decade or two since I have done my own oil change.

I suppose you play on the "Dyson canister vacuum" team but I am firmly entrenched in "Hoover vacuum bags"!

You still get both the hands dirty, correct?

Not if you wear rubber gloves.
smile.gif

I typically pick up the old filter by the oil filter housing cap/rod that is still attached to the filter, and move the whole thing over to a 1 gal ziploc bag. Then I separate the filter from the cap while in the ziploc bag. Very little mess that way.

I also use the extractor to suck out any remaining oil that is left in the oil filter housing after I remove the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back