neighbor vandalized my floodlight, my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread shows a lot of what is wrong with society today. Rather than act like a mature adult and discuss the situation with a neighbor, the original poster chose to continue to escalate it. Then there are all the wild speculators that claim everything from a citizens arrest to knowing that the neighbor is insane.
Living behind fences? Posting no trespassing signs all over your property? Putting up security cameras and blasting the neighborhood with floodlights? What a sad way to live.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: rjundi
It running your flood night all night really worth all this and potentially nuttier behavior?
It absolutely would be to me. I'd put in the brightest bulbs I can find, if he wants to be an a-hole, I'll show him an a-hole
wink.gif

Congratulations. You've proven that you're no better than the neighbor. Rather than elevate yourself above the situation and show him what an intelligent man does, you are going to prove to everyone that you're just as immature as him.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
This thread shows a lot of what is wrong with society today. Rather than act like a mature adult and discuss the situation with a neighbor, the original poster chose to continue to escalate it.

Completely agree. Now that the OP has gone into escalation mode, I wonder where it stops?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: rjundi
It running your flood night all night really worth all this and potentially nuttier behavior?
It absolutely would be to me. I'd put in the brightest bulbs I can find, if he wants to be an a-hole, I'll show him an a-hole
wink.gif

Congratulations. You've proven that you're no better than the neighbor. Rather than elevate yourself above the situation and show him what an intelligent man does, you are going to prove to everyone that you're just as immature as him.

Sadly it seems that a lot of people here believe that two wrongs make it right........

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The most important thing is to catch the criminal red handed on video and
make sure to press charges, don't think twice, let him spend time in jail. It may be the ONLY thing that makes him think twice about further trouble making. If you have the Castle Doctrine
in your state see if you have the right to use deadly force to protect your property. It may come to that.

Wow so some guy who is annoyed at a light shining into his house and is somewhat nutty should now be shot dead. I don't think it's worth it and I don't think the punishment fits the crime.

Yeah, a total [censored]? post!

This thread shows a lot of what is wrong with society today. Rather than act like a mature adult and discuss the situation with a neighbor, the original poster chose to continue to escalate it. Then there are all the wild speculators that claim everything from a citizens arrest to knowing that the neighbor is insane.
Living behind fences? Posting no trespassing signs all over your property? Putting up security cameras and blasting the neighborhood with floodlights? What a sad way to live.

I don't consider the signs, camera, and lock on the fence as escalating. It's my way of saying I know you vandalized my light, Do not do it again! The signs do the talking for me. I was being mature and did not call the cops and report him to the HOA.

I am a nice guy as can be, but there's a line that was crossed. If I spoke to him face to face, I would demand an apology and reimbursement for the damages. I'm sure he would deny ever doing it. I am a telecommuter and work at home. I am home all the time working and raising two kids. I don't go out much. He had plenty of ample time to come over during the day to speak with me. Instead, he chose to ring my doorbell like a maniac and run away close to 9pm over several months. He's ruined any type of friendly neighbor goodwill with his behavior. I'm surprised, Pop Rivit would be ok with this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Just knock on the neighbor's door and talk to the guy.

That was a option the neighbor should have initiated. But after knowing the neighbor is a trespassing immature vandal, i would secure my property as best i can and do as he did and increase surveillance. Any further issues should be reported to law enforcement.

I don't expect peaceful discussions with people who trespass , damage property and harass you by ringing doorbells and running off. I would not set foot on his property.

I don't know where this will end. I guess the BEST scenario would be you just live in a Toxic environment, or move out of what sounds like a Heck Hole.

Too bad nobody made the effort (if it is an effort) to talk / meet the neighbour in the first week of you living close together.

Sad sad sad. It reminds me of two dogs with a fence between them, barking and scrapping and acting like mad things because they have not had a chance to check each other out.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

I don't consider the signs, camera, and lock on the fence as escalating. It's my way of saying I know you vandalized my light, Do not do it again! The signs do the talking for me. I was being mature and did not call the cops and report him to the HOA.

I am a nice guy as can be, but there's a line that was crossed. If I spoke to him face to face, I would demand an apology and reimbursement for the damages. I'm sure he would deny ever doing it. I am a telecommuter and work at home. I am home all the time working and raising two kids. I don't go out much. He had plenty of ample time to come over during the day to speak with me. Instead, he chose to ring my doorbell like a maniac and run away close to 9pm over several months. He's ruined any type of friendly neighbor goodwill with his behavior. I'm surprised, Pop Rivit would be ok with this.

Don't let some of these folks label you....that neighbor of yours is the nut-job....not you.

You didn't do a thing to "escalate" the situation. You have every right to be concerned about the mental stability of this guy and did the right things in response.

I once had a similar situation with a female neighbor that was a complete nut. She made wild accusations and threats. I tried to talk to her....all she did was threaten more and continued on a tirade of four letter words.

The only way I could deal with her was to get an attorney to send her a letter warning her of her actions and advising her of the law. It was more involved than I am able to explain here....but needless to say my attorney scared the living fecal material out of her....and she stopped.

Document everything that has occurred up until now, and then if it continues....get an attorney and the law involved.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Just knock on the neighbor's door and talk to the guy.

That was a option the neighbor should have initiated. But after knowing the neighbor is a trespassing immature vandal, i would secure my property as best i can and do as he did and increase surveillance. Any further issues should be reported to law enforcement.

I don't expect peaceful discussions with people who trespass , damage property and harass you by ringing doorbells and running off. I would not set foot on his property.

Exactly right.

[

I am a nice guy as can be, but there's a line that was crossed. If I spoke to him face to face, I would demand an apology and reimbursement for the damages.

Maybe I missed the damages. You mean that corroded old light base that you can get new for about $10?

He was sending you a message. A cheap one. Now you're sending a message with the ghetto no trespassing signs and more lights and cameras.

You're losing focus. Remember your kids and pets are in the street with this guy driving around.

You think he's nuts so you want to mess with him more. Not a rational move.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Maybe I missed the damages. You mean that corroded old light base that you can get new for about $10?

He was sending you a message. A cheap one. Now you're sending a message with the ghetto no trespassing signs and more lights and cameras.

You're losing focus. Remember your kids and pets are in the street with this guy driving around.

You think he's nuts so you want to mess with him more. Not a rational move.

Respect for others property is regardless of value. You mean its okay if its under say $20? I don't agree.
The message is, don't come back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg

Don't let some of these folks label you....that neighbor of yours is the nut-job....not you.

You didn't do a thing to "escalate" the situation. You have every right to be concerned about the mental stability of this guy and did the right things in response.

I once had a similar situation with a female neighbor that was a complete nut. She made wild accusations and threats. I tried to talk to her....all she did was threaten more and continued on a tirade of four letter words.

The only way I could deal with her was to get an attorney to send her a letter warning her of her actions and advising her of the law. It was more involved than I am able to explain here....but needless to say my attorney scared the living fecal material out of her....and she stopped.

Document everything that has occurred up until now, and then if it continues....get an attorney and the law involved.

Very important to remember that mentally unstable individuals do not reason like you and I, approaching them as well meaning and innocent as you know it would be to discuss things would be seen and perceived by them as a threat, and they usually do escalate their bizarre and potentially dangerous behavior.

I still haven't read anything in this thread about proof as to who the culprit is.

Don't make an assumption until you have some evidence.

There could be somebody else involved. It might be a different neighbor or some kids.

You would not only feel like an idiot but could be legally liable if you make an accusation or take actions against the wrong person.

Originally Posted By: datech
I still haven't read anything in this thread about proof as to who the culprit is.

cutehumor's wife actually saw the nut case when he rang the door bell and then ran away.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

cutehumor's wife actually saw the nut case when he rang the door bell and then ran away.

That is not what I read. Here is what his wife said:

"My wife said she hears a banging sound and she is scared, so I go outside. there is no one there. Get this, today I cut the grass. The two floodlights are working. Well, one of them has been knocked off alignment. One of the two floodlights are beaming straight into the ground where a plant is. I'm upset about this. I talked to my other neighbor a minute ago, he said he hasn't heard anything about that guy. He said to notify the homeowners association or call the police. he said police won't do anything without video evidence. it would be he said she said thing. so what are my options? This whole thing has gone sour. He has not said one word to me about this.
"

If there is an actual eyewitness account perhaps you could point it out for me.

Cutehumor could find himself facing a defamation lawsuit if he is wrong. Fortunately he hasn't identified this neighbor by name .

well, the past three months, I have had someone ring my doorbell at 830pm at night frantically. 8 or 9 doorbell rings, I come to the door, no one there. I thought it was a kids prank the whole time.

after five times of this happening over three months, I was upstairs and looked down at my front door and see my neighbor running back to his home. This man is in his late 40's to early 50's. I was shocked. There was no note left or anything. He hasn't said anything to me during the daytime.

The neighbor certainly seems to be the guy but I think Cutehumor will need more than that as "proof".

Originally Posted By: spasm3

well, the past three months, I have had someone ring my doorbell at 830pm at night frantically. 8 or 9 doorbell rings, I come to the door, no one there. I thought it was a kids prank the whole time.

after five times of this happening over three months, I was upstairs and looked down at my front door and see my neighbor running back to his home. This man is in his late 40's to early 50's. I was shocked. There was no note left or anything. He hasn't said anything to me during the daytime.

I have had 2 neighborhood :disputes" one was a property line dispute with a doctor adjacent to my property. I had my builder send his licensed surveyor out and re-survey the lot. While he was surveying the lot she came home and stood 10 feet away shouting obscenities and threatening him.

He put 25 orange flags and 6 orange property line surveyor pins (which are illegal to touch) on the line and called the police. So a police officer had to stand there for 3 hours while he finished. I filed a police report.

while BBQing the next weekend she came out and screamed at me. I filed another police report. Then I gave both police reports to my attorney who sent them a registered letter warning them of an impending lawsuit if they did it again. My attorney also called the city law director who had the police pay them a visit and warn her that she would be charged with menacing if she did it again.

8 months later the couple moved.

So I recommend filing a police report and having your attorney handle it.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I have had 2 neighborhood :disputes" one was a property line dispute with a doctor adjacent to my property. I had my builder send his licensed surveyor out and re-survey the lot. While he was surveying the lot she came home and stood 10 feet away shouting obscenities and threatening him.

He put 25 orange flags and 6 orange property line surveyor pins (which are illegal to touch) on the line and called the police. So a police officer had to stand there for 3 hours while he finished. I filed a police report.

while BBQing the next weekend she came out and screamed at me. I filed another police report. Then I gave both police reports to my attorney who sent them a registered letter warning them of an impending lawsuit if they did it again. My attorney also called the city law director who had the police pay them a visit and warn her that she would be charged with menacing if she did it again.

8 months later the couple moved.

So I recommend filing a police report and having your attorney handle it.

This!^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back