Does drivers weight affect alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rotated tires on my friend's 07 Subie OB. Noticed excessive wear on outside edge of driver front tire. Friend is obese. Could her high weight cause or contribute to this tire wear?

It's possible esp if she's 300+. Ideally the gas tank should be half full when getting an alignment. So weight does play into it.

Ideally the car should be aligned with the driver in the seat, if you align the car 'dry' and then load/deflect the suspension the geometry will change. Tyre pressures can also contribute to wear..

Is she so fat that the arch is rubbing the tire? Lift kit and low profile rubber?
The cheapest fix would be addressing the calories:exercise ratio.

That tire wears anyway, people corner right corners (eg offramps) more often and faster. Left turns are tighter and slower.

For all we know having a driver's weight counteracts the crown in the road. Align to spec and read the fine print.

Absolutely it does. When I worked at Sears Auto, our assistant manager always complained that his Suburban pulled no matter who did the alignment. This particular individual was on the larger side and no-one had the heart to tell him why it pulled. One of our techs suggested that he sit in the driver's seat and hold the wheel where he wanted while the tech did the alignment. All of the measurements were way out of spec with him the the seat, but the alignment was absolutely perfect after.

BMW alignment specs require a specific weight in each front seat and the trunk as well as a full fuel tank. The exact amount varies depending on the model.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The cheapest fix would be addressing the calories:exercise ratio.

crackmeup2.gif

With my 380lb and gaining fat lazy pos nephew it would make a huge difference. A normal weight person makes a difference but will remains within spec.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Just rotated tires on my friend's 07 Subie OB. Noticed excessive wear on outside edge of driver front tire. Friend is obese. Could her high weight cause or contribute to this tire wear?

Have her sit in the vehicle or have the guys at the shop place 6-50 lb sand bags in the drivers seat without her knowledge if you don't want to offend her about her weight.

Last edited:
I had to chuckle after reading that one. All families seem alike sometimes....
Originally Posted By: Trav
With my 380lb and gaining fat lazy pos nephew it would make a huge difference. A normal weight person makes a difference but will remains within spec.

I am not small by any means. I am 6'2" and used to weigh 286 lbs and now am at 265. I have used the same alignment guy for years. He would alway have me sit in the car after he was done to make sure everything was still in spec. He did have to readjust once in one of my old Mustangs.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

It depends. Some suspensions change camber and toe when compressed and others don't. I don't know which way Subies are.

When I had my car corner weighted (back when I had adjustable coil overs in the back as well as the front) they had me sit in the driver's seat, but never for an alignment.

This kinda explains why all the toppings on my delivered pizzas are shifted to one side when a "large" person delivers.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back