2015 Hemi Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas,

I believe that the FF in my Ram is PYB. My manual doesn't say anything about break-in except for the first 500 miles.

I am planning on dumping the FF at about 1,500 miles. Then running PYB again for 5k. Then doing synthetic and following the OLM. What do you guys think?

500 mi's and then dump? I thought the FF had more break in additives and it was along the lines of 1000 miles. 1500-2000 would be where I would go with it. I only hate new cars as you arent suppossed to use cruise control or high rev till 1000 plus miles.

Check the owners manual again.

Some cars want you to go the full OCI with the FF, particularly Honda. I don't know what Fiat says to do, though.

My recommendation is to just go by the OLM from the very beginning, especially while under warranty.

1500 miles is too early IMO. Run it until it reaches at least 1/2 the recommended change. I.e. if 5,000 miles the 2,500 and if 7,500 then 3,000 - 3750

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Hey fellas,

I believe that the FF in my Ram is PYB. My manual doesn't say anything about break-in except for the first 500 miles.

I am planning on dumping the FF at about 1,500 miles. Then running PYB again for 5k. Then doing synthetic and following the OLM. What do you guys think?

Your plan sounds like a good idea. FF used to be a special oil, but today's manufacturing for most vehicles uses a "normal" oil. I'm a big fan of early first changes; an early oil and filter change may not help, but it certainly can't hurt since our engines were designed to run on clean oil.

Oil filter will do its job, no problem with running the factory fill a normal interval.

No proof anywhere about early change versus running the full spec interval making any difference in engine life.

The good part is it seems unlikely to hurt anything as well...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Oil filter will do its job, no problem with running the factory fill a normal interval.

No proof anywhere about early change versus running the full spec interval making any difference in engine life.

The good part is it seems unlikely to hurt anything as well...

Agree 100%. Just follow the OLM and keep it topped off. Not complicated.

I doubt if break in oil exists in any new car. Break in oils were designed to be changed early. I bet it is sixty years since a manufacturer put break in oil in a new car. You have the right idea, common sense says to get the initial wear particles out as fast as possible. Oil filters aren't that good. There is no data for engines lasting longer one way or the other because it is an impossible experiment given the other variables during the life of an engine.

Out of curiosity, which engines use the SRT 0W-40 that Pennzoil made specifically for Chrysler?

Where does the info come from that this high performance new engine comes with PYB? I wonder if any company doesn't use a high grade synthetic in a new car these days.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I doubt if break in oil exists in any new car. Break in oils were designed to be changed early. I bet it is sixty years since a manufacturer put break in oil in a new car. You have the right idea, common sense says to get the initial wear particles out as fast as possible. Oil filters aren't that good. There is no data for engines lasting longer one way or the other because it is an impossible experiment given the other variables during the life of an engine.

okay well honda has been using break in FF oils for years.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Out of curiosity, which engines use the SRT 0W-40 that Pennzoil made specifically for Chrysler?

the Viper, and the Ram SRT-10 that uses the same V10

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Not to put too fine a point on it, but.....Honda doesn't say they use a different oil, just that the factory fill has additives that should be left to do their job. Those additives are almost certainly just the assembly lube (Which is a subject full of lore, more art than science, among engine assemblers).

That is not to say that Honda does not have a good point....But they are unlikely to use anything unusual as the actual oil, in the factory fill. The "Magic" is in the assembly lube.

Myth, fabricated on speculation why they say don't change the original fill. They use high grade low friction oil like Toyota and others to get the highest EPA mpg numbers, for marketing competition. Break in oil by definition is high friction oil meant to wear the motor parts faster, and be dumped out in a few hundred miles.

Stick with your plan and You will be perfectly fine... Be selective with your oil choice... These 5.7L seems to prefer an oil with a fair amount of Moly or combo of Moly & Boron... I prefer alot of Zinc as well...

Look at the Royal Purple or Fram Ultra Filters--> Both use a synthetic media and are top notch...

Myth, fabricated on speculation why they say don't change the original fill. They use high grade low friction oil like Toyota and others to get the highest EPA mpg numbers, for marketing competition. Break in oil by definition is high friction oil meant to wear the motor parts faster, and be dumped out in a few hundred miles.

splitting hairs after 60 years is 60 years forgotten my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back