flywheel key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where to get one for a decent price? I paid 80 cents at the hardware store for a generic one, and I bet I could whittle it down to fit, but in the end this seems like a ten cent part. Quick look on Amazon though has it at seven bucks.

Motor is a vertical shaft B&S. The fact hat it sheared the key makes me not want to spend much on it. A buck I can live with, seven seems too much.

being cheep, eh?

I buy bulk on ePrey (Oregon or B&S original).

Cheeper that way (I do small engines every now and then, and get to replace the key on a regular basis).

Q.

Did not think to look there, thanks. Maybe I ought to stick up, seems like a mower or two gets tossed per month.

I get foot long key material and cut to length. They are about 4$ a piece. 4 different sizes I buy. Only have used the small 3/16 stuff so far.

You have absolutely zero small engine repair shops in your town? Each and every one of those shops will sell you a flywheel key for $3.

Remember the stock key is made of soft enough material to shear instead of hurting the crank/flywheel when you hit the stump/rock or drain lid.

I believe I sell the genuine Briggs key for less than $2 in my shop. And I don't recommend using steel key stock for the Briggs engines, as the next time you hit something instead of needing to replace the key, you may need to replace the flywheel.

Heh, I was out and about with the wife today, and found keys at a different stores, $3.50 for three, so I grabbed those. Will give that a shot when I get to it.

Most of these are not standard key stock from the hardware store, that stuff is at least mild steel which is quite a bit harder than your flywheel. Most of the flywheel keys and all shear keys are made of a soft metal like lead or aluminum

the flywheel keys specifically made for OPE engines such as B&S, etc. are made of soft metal alloy called "potmetal".

If you substitute with non pot-metal type key, you are guaranteed with substantial damage to the engine when something hit the crank....

Q.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You have absolutely zero small engine repair shops in your town? Each and every one of those shops will sell you a flywheel key for $3.

That's the going price in my area. I just pay it, fix it and move on. It's not worth it to me spending gas money looking around or freight charges ordering them somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back