84 Camry dlx model hatchback

Status
Not open for further replies.
84 Camry dlx model hatchback
Hello to all on the forums 1st off......
I need some help here on my 1st generation 84 Camry hatchback deluxe model automatic transmission.
THE PROBLEM(S)
To be clear on the problem I am having is this: My transmission is shifting hard and rough intermittently and sometimes when going between the speeds of 40-55 mph I will feel a shake and cluttering from the transmission or the axle going into the transmission. Note the car does not do this all the time just sometimes. The car just started doing this so I am sure it will get worse. Also to be noted the car shifts rough when coming to a stop so that would be downshifting from 2nd to 1st at about 15 mph. Also when I took a long road trip some of the transmission fluid would spill out I am guessing it was coming from where the axle meet/goes into the transmission. When this happened (happened more then 3 times) I would have to check and add transmission fluid to the car to get it back up to the full level.
WHAT I ALREADY DID TO TRY AND FIX
I have already taken it to 3 different mechanics and they all said to drive the car until It breaks and then junk it. That REALLY [censored] ME OFF AS I LIKE THIS CAR VERY MUCH AND WANT TO FIX IT. The 1st mechanic sucked 2 quarts out of the transmission dipstick and then added Lucas stop slip and told me to drive the f........... car and see if it helped. It seemed to help at 1st then the hard shifting was back in no time at all. I did check the transmission level and it is at full when the car is hot. One of the other mechanics knows the issue(s) on this car and was telling me to check the transaxle fluid behind the transmission pan. I went behind there and there is 2 plugs 1 filler plug to train (I am guessing gear oil?) and the other plug is a drain check plug. So I looked up the fluid type in my owners manual for the filler plug behind the transmission pan and it says to put in the same type of fluid as in the transmission is this correct?
QUESTIONS AND HELP NEEDED
So my 1st question is why would I put the same fluid type (dextron2) in the transaxle filler plug? I would think I different kind of fluid like (gear oil) would go in there as it is a completely separate compartment then the transmission dip stick and transmission pan and filter? What is the correct type of fluid to use in this separate compartment?
Being on these big forums there must be several people who know about this problem and might even be having the same problems. Please let me know what is causing this and what I can do to fix this. I really would appreciate any/all help from you as I know the forums are a great way to share and help each other with information so thanks to all who help in advance.
Dave

Please tell us how many miles on the car and what type of driving you do.

Your story about the problems going away with fresh fluid, then returning, sound exactly like a friend's situation a few years back. What he did is replace the fluid via a pan drop and refill. Then he would drive it and repeat when the problems returned.

He repeated this cycle about 4 times in 15000 miles, then the trans worked fine for the next 100k miles; he used only the normal recommended fluid with no additives or gimmicks.

Automatics were designed to use fresh fluid, so if you want to try it but you're not into doing the work, find a mechanic that will do it for you.

Last edited:
If the owners manual says to use ATF for the differential, then use it. Good time for an synth upgrade like Mobil1 or Royalpurple, ATF+4...

For the transmission, do a complete pan drop, magnet cleaning, filter change, and ATF exhange using a high mileage ATF.

Driving the [censored] out of a transmission will simply break it. Treat it gently with respect until its time to rebuild/replace.

Buy or download for the factory service manual for your transmission. It'll have info on troubleshooting along with any adjustments that might be needed.

In my '91 Camry DX, I recently replaced the original CV axles and know of the area you speak. It is the differential, and mine holds about 1 3/4 quarts of Dexron III automatic transmission fluid. It does not mix with the transmission fluid which is also Dexron III. The fill plug is a pain to get to, but with the right funnel and hose, you can do it. I replaced the output shaft seals too from Autozone for about $15 when I was working there, but the factory dust covers I accidentally tossed were $70 for basically 2 large curved discs. Dealer item only. Live and learn
frown.gif

My transmission has had no problems you mention, so I can't offer any suggestions except it may be worn and the newer fluid is covering some flaws? Some transmissions automatically boost line pressure to compensate for wear, but I'm not sure if Toyota does that?

Toyotanation.com is a great reference for the older Camrys. Good luck with your car.

Had a 2001 Corolla 3 speed Automatic and the transaxle was as you described, 2 plugs top one you fill till it starts to leak with Dexron III. Bottom plug is the drain plug.
Few people know about it so it rarely if ever gets a drain and fill.

The transmission probably isn't electronic even if the engine is, so you might need to replace the vacuum modulator. ATF can get sucked into the engine if the modulator fails, and the modulator is a device that controls shifting.

It really sucks that local mechanics will not do anything to help you. In some really large cities, there are repair shops that only work with Toyotas, and those mechanics may be familiar with quirks that are unique to your car. Unfortunately, one reason they may avoid working on your car is because of age. The older a car is, the greater the risk that something else fails as one part is replaced.

Originally Posted By: hardyrxp
Thank you guys 1st off....
Where is the vaccum modulator located at Please advise?
How do I check or fix it?

Typically a transmission vacuum modulator is attached to the transmission, and it has a vacuum hose that connects to the intake manifold. If you use a vacuum pump on the module, the vacuum should reading stay steady, and the pump should not be pulling out transmission fluid. If either of those things happen, you know you have a failed modulator.

Some cars had extra devices between the vacuum modulator and intake manifold, and those should be replaced as well. Odds are, the old plastic vacuum system parts will break apart when you try to remove them. They do on practically every Toyota I worked on.

Many people will simply put a new vacuum modulator on an older car, simply because they usually aren't expensive, and the accuracy of a transmission modulator can decline over time.

Okay but could this cause my problem I don't think so please advise?
Also do you know where the vacuum modulator would be on my car 84 camrY?

Okay but could this cause my problem I don't think so please advise?
Also do you know where the vacuum modulator would be on my car 84 camrY?

I don't know exactly where it would be on your car, because it has been years since I worked on that kind of Camry. Maybe you can order a service manual, and it would tell you where to look. I'd rarely ever encounter a Toyota of that age, only GM and Ford cars. That is why I am not sure about where your vacuum modulator would be located.

Would that part cause to happen what I described?
The trans shifting hard/jerking on a downshift from 2nd to 1st?
I don't think so I think I have another problem a REAL problem going on with my trans?

Would that part cause to happen what I described?
The trans shifting hard/jerking on a downshift from 2nd to 1st?
I don't think so I think I have another problem a REAL problem going on with my trans?

I don't know for sure if the vacuum modulator is causing the problem, I'm just saying it MIGHT cause the problem, and it often does.

This is why you should search for someone who specializes in Toyotas. They would be more able to help you.

I will look for all/any vacuum lines that go from the trans to the intake manifold tomorrow thanks for your help and input.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back