Snafu made right by my mechanic this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into my normal indy mechanic for a tire rotation and brake fluid flush on the wife's Pilot.
About 1.5 hours later, got back in the car and noticed the oil life monitor had been reset to 100%.
Look at the invoice, and see the brake fluid flush and an OIL CHANGE.
Went back in, counter guy was extremely apologetic and then did the rotation on the spot and didn't charge me for it. I actually made out ahead as the oil change was less than the rotation. M1 and Fram Ultra filter only had about 2500 miles on it.

I asked about the oil: They use Starfire 0w20. I think it's made by Miles? Someone will fill me in on this.

I'm not overly worried about the oil. With the short trips that car makes it will be out by 6k anyway when the MM goes to 5%.
Thanks peeps!

I would accept nothing less than the owner of the shop replacing the oil and filter (with new) with what they drained out of it without asking first.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I would accept nothing less than the owner of the shop replacing the oil and filter (with new) with what they drained out of it without asking first.

It's just oil....geez lets not ruin the poor shop owners day...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: philipp10

I disagree, and I agree with Rand, "The used M1 was better than new starfire."

They remove your superior oil and replace it with an inferior product.

If it was me...I'd make them replace it with M1.

Ed

Originally Posted By: philipp10

I agree. Again, if this were my CR-V and I was doing 10k runs I'd be more upset. But in this car it never gets past 6k before I change it anyway. I'm confident Starfire will last that long.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
They remove your superior oil and replace it with an inferior product.

If it was me...I'd make them replace it with M1.

Ed

I took my 2000 Solara V6 5MT in for an engine oil change. There were a number of "free" oil changes included in the purchase package. When I picked the car up they had billed me for a transmission oil change as well. They drained recently installed synthetic and put in dino (it was some years ago so I don't recall the specifics). I did make them replace the transmission oil with synthetic and tear up the bill besides. I never asked them to do that.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
[

I took my 2000 Solara V6 5MT in for an engine oil change. There were a number of "free" oil changes included in the purchase package. When I picked the car up they had billed me for a transmission oil change as well. They drained recently installed synthetic and put in dino (it was some years ago so I don't recall the specifics). I did make them replace the transmission oil with synthetic and tear up the bill besides. I never asked them to do that.

It seems like a LOT of shops are attempting to
"cram" customers with unrequested services and hope that you don't notice them added to your bill. Sneaky and
underhanded more reasons why the auto service industry has a terrible reputation with consumers.

Last edited:

Absolutely.

If this is a newer pilot they are murder on oil, NO WAY I would run "starfire" for a mm run.

And you won't be ruining the shop owners day, he did that when he failed to read the WO and perform the correct service.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Absolutely.

If this is a newer pilot they are murder on oil, NO WAY I would run "starfire" for a mm run.

And you won't be ruining the shop owners day, he did that when he failed to read the WO and perform the correct service.

It's a 2008.

I emailed the owner who I know well. He apologized a ton, gave me some insight behind the scenes, and offered to buy me M1.
I'm still going to run the Starfire to about 10% on the MM, which should be about 6k. It can't be any worse than the most basic house brand 5w20 on the planet (Meijer? WM? AZ?)

I will then do my first UOA on the Pilot and we shall see how it did.
Now to REALLY freak you all out....there's a Valvoline V0-16 filter on there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back