PP 5W30 Shear Potential ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil cap on two Hyundai engines says 5W20 (manual says 5W30 ok for summer fill) .
Some say it doesn't matter as 5W30 will shear down to a 5W20 any way ... Still true today with updated VI's? Both vehicles used mainly in mixed suburban driving conditions 6 months / 6,000 miles (which ever comes first)...Used PP5W20 in Fall / Winter fill for both. Your thoughts ?

I don't see PP shearing down to a 20 in any recommended OCI. In GA, I don't see a problem at all in running a 5w30 synthetic like PP. Ed

I'm running 5w or 0w20 in the winter in my 2013 hyundai. 5w 30 in the summer. Both weights pennzoil. When my stash of 5w 20 runs out, i will run the 5w30 year round. Its covered in my manual. I have pp and ulta in 5w30 for this car.

The 5w30 will shear, but at worst it will still be a high 20.

The 5w20's shear too, sometimes to scary places IMO.

I prefer 5w30 for our KIA.

Thanks for replies ... The '10 Elantra has 69K miles on it and the '07 Sedona has 144K miles on it ... Probably would not hurt to run 5W30 year round now as (if I'm correct on this) engine tolerances have opened up a bit by now to perhaps make 5W30 the better choice at engine running temps.

Sounds like shearing near end of an OCI is a good thing. Imagine start the OCI round April and assume changing oil once a year. Now you get the best of both world - Thicker oil during warm months, and thinner during cold.

Originally Posted By: 00Max00
Sounds like shearing near end of an OCI is a good thing. Imagine start the OCI round April and assume changing oil once a year. Now you get the best of both world - Thicker oil during warm months, and thinner during cold.

Would be hard to time, but as the oil ages most likely cold start performance starts to suffer as well, it just isn't measured in a 25 dollar UOA.

My setup : Fram Ultra oil filter , 2 OCI's of 6K miles each - first was PP5W20 Fall / Winter fill (on sale) , 2nd OCI is 0W30 M1 Spring / Summer fill (on sale).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back