Best Synthetic 5w30 For Cleaning? What About Wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what oil is considered to be the best at cleaning up a dirty engine and also protects against wear. I know Pennzoil Platinum was always a great choice but things change fast around here is that oil still a good choice?

To your title question, it's not the "best", obviously, because even pennzoil puts ultra as their "best" product with better cleaning than PP.

But it's a great choice and it's fine

What viscosity do you need? HDEOs typically produce both a strong detergent pack and stout AW additives

AFAIK, M1 is the synthetic champ at cleaning and also offers good protection. I can also recommend Amsoil; I've used it for over 10 years, including switching over some vehicles that had more than 80k miles on them, and internals of the engines have been spotless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Amsoil signature series is probably even better than Mobil 1, buy you get Mobil 1 for less than $5 a quart which makes it a huge value.

Do tell. Exactly where can I find the data that says amsoil is better than m1.

And not some amsoil white paper. Or some nonsense testing method.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Hey why you disagreeing with Memphis?

I thought you dudes were two links on the same chain.
grin2.gif

M1 oils are well known for keeping engines very clean and long lasting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Just curious what oil is considered to be the best at cleaning up a dirty engine and also protects against wear. I know Pennzoil Platinum was always a great choice but things change fast around here is that oil still a good choice?

The honest answer is that nobody here really knows what oil offers either the best cleaning or the best wear protection.
Any API SJ/SL/SM/SN oil will do a reasonable job of both, although we all have our favorites.
There is at least some reason to believe that wear protection and cleaning are antithetical, but the best cleaning oil probably produces no measurable increment in engine wear over the oil offering the best wear protection, which in turn probably offers no measurable loss of cleaning ability relative to the best cleaning oil. Whatever differences there are would be very small.
Amsoil's premium oils do look to have unusually stout add packs as compared to any OTS oil, for what that's worth.
Engines don't typically have much in the way of excess wear or deposits unless they're operated in such a way that they never get fully wamred up or they're run for OCIs too long for either the oil used or the operating conditions.
If I had an engine that appeared to be heavily loaded with deposits, I'd consider using a solvent in the oil, like Kreen or Berryman's.
OTOH, regular changes with any oil will slowly remove any excess deposits, assuming that the engine is operated in a manner that allows it to spend most of its time at normal operating temperatures.
If an engine is loaded with deposits to the extent that its survival is in doubt, any short term increase in wear involved in cleaning it up would be of little concern.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

The honest answer is that nobody here really knows what oil offers either the best cleaning or the best wear protection.
Any API SJ/SL/SM/SN oil will do a reasonable job of both, although we all have our favorites.
There is at least some reason to believe that wear protection and cleaning are antithetical, but the best cleaning oil probably produces no measurable increment in engine wear over the oil offering the best wear protection, which in turn probably offers no measurable loss of cleaning ability relative to the best cleaning oil. Whatever differences there are would be very small.
Amsoil's premium oils do look to have unusually stout add packs as compared to any OTS oil, for what that's worth.
Engines don't typically have much in the way of excess wear or deposits unless they're operated in such a way that they never get fully wamred up or they're run for OCIs too long for either the oil used or the operating conditions.
If I had an engine that appeared to be heavily loaded with deposits, I'd consider using a solvent in the oil, like Kreen or Berryman's.
OTOH, regular changes with any oil will slowly remove any excess deposits, assuming that the engine is operated in a manner that allows it to spend most of its time at normal operating temperatures.
If an engine is loaded with deposits to the extent that its survival is in doubt, any short term increase in wear involved in cleaning it up would be of little concern.

This is by far the best answer the OP will find. Completely devoid of fanboy anecdotes and bitog marketing.

Last edited:
Its not for any specific vehicle its just a general question.. I was thinking of using it in my daughters 2010 Santa Fe v6. That is a noisy engine at start up to begin with and has been since brand new but it has loads of power and she has a very very heavy foot. It has 177,000 miles on it and i figure 5w30 would give a little more protection than the 5w20 in this case.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Hey why you disagreeing with Memphis?

I thought you dudes were two links on the same chain.
grin2.gif

Happy birthday Merk!! I just noticed the birthday cake icon :^)

Hard to say which oil would clean the best. What I find interesting is how the Mobil 1 0w40 PDS specifically mentions that their 0w40 will clean up a dirty engine very well apparently.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

"Provides exceptional cleaning power for dirty engines."

I'd attribute that to the special Grp V base oils and high calcium levels.

I'd also consider Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil 1 High Mileage as well.

Originally Posted By: buster

"Provides exceptional cleaning power for dirty engines."

I'd attribute that to the special Grp V base oils and high calcium levels.

Would Redline be one of those oils you consider have excellent cleaning abilities?

Possibly but I'd never use it for that. Just go to Walmart and grab a jug of Mobil 1 0w40 or High Mileage M1 or MaxLife/PU.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Amsoil signature series is probably even better than Mobil 1, buy you get Mobil 1 for less than $5 a quart which makes it a huge value.

Well another one of crazyoildude's random threads, I figured I'd stir the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back