Whatever happened to the "no oil" demo's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Additives have become less deceptive, I think there were some lawsuits, like the link you posted, they used two stroke oil to keep the rings lubed....

Last edited:
I think the FTC really started coming down on advertisers that make outlandish and unsubstantiated claims. Watching older commercials is hilarious because they make everything sound like it is a miracle product when in reality it did nothing.

I laugh at the idea that any vehicle with hydraulic valve lifters can run without oil for hours on end.However,in a couple cases,an old flathead Briggs engine was used (solid lifters) and a early to mid 90s Mirage 1.5 was driven dry (those are solid lifters too).Still,it really flies in the face Of what Briggs found when running Slick 50 in their own engines...they found the Slick 50 treated engines suffered more damage when run dry than did the engines that never had it.A lot of people wasted a lot of money for 20+ years on that stuff...

Mr Moly.com shows a demo of a GM car ran around a track with engine treated off and on with moly. Its an interesting read on their website. Though I dont think they or anyone in a sound mind suggests running a car without proper lubrication.

Back in the day, you would see one of those miracle products sellers at the county fairs. The one I remember was a /6 idling away with the oil pan off.

Hahaha, I was always skeptical of those "our oil protected even after we drained it out" commercials! I think that any engine can run for awhile without oil, regardless of what it was filled with before; and the oil companies have recognized this also. IMO it was a marketing ploy that was successfully used for awhile.

I remember a TV commercial using that Atlantic Graphite oil in a vehicle driven around town after draining the oil.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Back in the day, you would see one of those miracle products sellers at the county fairs. The one I remember was a /6 idling away with the oil pan off.

The "back in the day" era was just a couple of years ago. I was walking through the Kansas State Fair two years ago and some hawker had an older Chevy 6 cylinder running....with no oil pan. The reciprocating assembly was visible to anybody who looked. Now this would have been day 2 of the fair and I'm assuming he was there for the full 10 days...
Being the sceptical person at heart, I just assume that he had fitted the engine with roller bearings. After all, he had the confidence that his engine was going to go the full 10 days and maybe he even had a spare sitting there that he could substitute in, like a basketball player coming off the bench.
I have no idea if the engine made it the full distance and I didn't pay attention to the product he was selling.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Hahaha, I was always skeptical of those "our oil protected even after we drained it out" commercials! I think that any engine can run for awhile without oil, regardless of what it was filled with before; and the oil companies have recognized this also. IMO it was a marketing ploy that was successfully used for awhile.

they don't. most engines start shreeking within seconds after starting with no oil.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Additives have become less deceptive, I think there were some lawsuits, like the link you posted, they used two stroke oil to keep the rings lubed....

Never thought of that, makes sense, two stroke oil. Wonder if they ran the engine rich too, up a jet or two, maybe played with timing, Not under load, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back