PuraDyn TF-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought some of you guys would like to see some pictures of a PuraDyn TF-24 I bought:)
This unit will be installed on a cummins 6bt and compared to the Amsoil Dual Gard system I have on my 6.4 Powerstroke. The unit is NOS and purchased for the price of one oil change with filters on the Cummins. Here's some pictures and a video:)

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXfkkhM7YJg

I had to modify my Puradyn filter to fit my truck as I mistakenly thought the Cummins had an extra bung in the oil pan. Turns out it doesn't, so instead of routing the drain to the oil pan I'm returning it to the valve cover. As the fittings that came with the filter housing were not ideal, I decided to cut and weld an AN12 fitting on it. As it's not exactly gravity drain anymore, I plugged the vent and removed the heater element.
Here's some pictures and a video:)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJtBIRmtr98

Ready to weld:

After welding and painted:

AN12 fitting:

Gravity drain, heater, and vent can be hassles.

Modified and should work well as a simple standalone bypass.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Are you working on this bypass setup?

Yes, modified the filter housing to an AN12 fitting. Welded and painted and ready to install.:)

Just an update to the Bypass system. I ended up returning the oil to the front valve cover through a welded 12-AN fitting. Forgot to take any pictures of the system, but got a new oil sample back that's not bad. My goal is never to change my oil again:) Here's the sample after 12000 KM's on Rotella T 15W40.

P.S According to PuraDyn, all I have to do is change the oem filter and the PuraDyn filter ever 12000 KM's and the base oil never get's changed. That amounts to 4 quarts of oil added every year. We shall see if this works.:)

Change the OEM filter as required by the owners manual, or by the oil filter brands recommendation.

Change the Puradyn as required by.... flow, UOA data,... 12k km seems to be a little early and profitable for Puradyn. The TF24 is sump sized for 25-45 quarts. Its a double sized bypass for a 5.9L Cummins and I would simply double the mileage on the filter and verify with UOA. The TF12 if for
Excellent UOA. Get a VOA on the oil.

Where is the Boron and Potassium coming from? Puradyn additive in their filter media? Fuel additives used?

TBN high due to TBN booster in Puradyn media. But, TBN retention with HDEO is pretty good especially since diesel fuel is pretty low sulfur.

TAN is required to watch acids. I would definitely get TAN along with the TBN. TBN alone is not really useful.

And, a particle count will allow you to see what micron sized stuff is passing the filters.

Email that UOA to Puradyn and see what they say about the Boron and Potassium.

What sized orifice is being used to feed the Puradyn?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Change the OEM filter as required by the owners manual, or by the oil filter brands recommendation.

Change the Puradyn as required by.... flow, UOA data,... 12k km seems to be a little early and profitable for Puradyn. The TF24 is sump sized for 25-45 quarts. Its a double sized bypass for a 5.9L Cummins and I would simply double the mileage on the filter and verify with UOA. The TF12 if for
Excellent UOA. Get a VOA on the oil.

Where is the Boron and Potassium coming from? Puradyn additive in their filter media? Fuel additives used?

TBN high due to TBN booster in Puradyn media. But, TBN retention with HDEO is pretty good especially since diesel fuel is pretty low sulfur.

TAN is required to watch acids. I would definitely get TAN along with the TBN. TBN alone is not really useful.

And, a particle count will allow you to see what micron sized stuff is passing the filters.

Email that UOA to Puradyn and see what they say about the Boron and Potassium.

What sized orifice is being used to feed the Puradyn?

Thanks Greasymechtech, I forgot about the TF-24 being twice the capacity that I need, I bought this NOS for 75 bucks, so could not pass up the deal. I'll take another oil sample in 12000 KM's and see how it's holding up. The Boron and Potassium are coming from 16OZ of Archoil I added to this oil when I first changed it. The TBN increased due to the Archoil being added, but will slowly drop as time passes. The orifice is .032" down from .094" that it had stock, as is meant for a class 8 tractor. Next oil sample sent will get the tan as well, so I can see that as well. Puradyn does claim to release additives back into the oil, so it will be interesting to see if it really does. So far I'm very happy with the results. Thanks again for your comments.:)

Last edited:
Potas/boron is from Archoil. Wonder how a gasser will do with a dose of archoil.

Engine should have no issue with a 40-60 thou orifice. Perfect UOA with the 32 orifice. Stick with it!

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Potas/boron is from Archoil. Wonder how a gasser will do with a dose of archoil.

Engine should have no issue with a 40-60 thou orifice. Perfect UOA with the 32 orifice. Stick with it!

From all accounts Archoil should work well in any engine. I'm running it in 3 diesels I own and seeing how well it works. So far I've only checked the Cummins, but will send a sample in a six months or so for the other two.

An updated picture of my TF-24 installed in the Dodge D250. I welded an an12 fitting on the Valve cover to accept the return hose from the filter.

An update on the TF-24 bypass filter. The setup now has 18000 Km's on it and a few minor problems have surfaced since the install. One the small orifice of .032" is too small for the cummins and ends up with a cold filter housing and very little oil flow through the filter. I took an oil sample at 18000 km's with this setup and sent it off to blackstone labs last week and should have the results soon. To fix this problem I put in a .060" orifice and now have a hot filter housing. I also changed out the filter element with a NOS filter I bought on ebay that ended up not flowing oil but just dripped.(I think the element is moisture saturated as was in Hong Kong at 90% humidity for too long). As I only had the old element to use I put it back in and will dry out the new element and use later. Two, to take an oil sample from the stock location is difficult as there is very little room to get the sample jar in and take a sample. I will solve this problem by moving the sample point to the full flow mount. The filter element is easy to change and takes about 10-15 minutes or so. We'll see how the oil looks when I get the results back from Blackstone labs. Here's some video's I made of taking the oil sample and changing the filter.

Oil Sample video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIjhYELRMO8

Changing filter video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQOseKEx2W4

I posted this oil analysis on the oil analysis forum but forgot to update this post. The Puradyn TF-24 now has over 21,000 Km's on it and working as advertised by PuraDyn. I'm now confident in taking samples every 18000 km's and changing filters every 36000 km's. The full flow is an Amsoil EO80, so I can run this filter up to 36000 Km's as well. With the Tf-24 using 2 3/4 Quarts as well as 1 quart for the Amsoil full flow filter, that's 3 3/4 quarts of oil every 36000 km's or 22000 miles. I'm not so bold as saying no more oil changes, but looking very good at the moment.
Here's the latest report:

I plan on replacing this TF-24 unit with the MTS-24 this April or May if I can find the time. I will be re-installing the the TF-24 unit on my 1979 Detroit Diesel 4-53T running Chevron Delo 100 SAE 40. Being that the Detroit uses so much oil, I'm don't think I'll ever need to change the oil again, just filter changes from now on in.:)

Hmm after thinking about this, maybe I don't even need a bypass filter on the Detroit 4-53T as it uses so much oil? Could probably just change the full flow filter and never have to worry about the bypass system? Anyone have any experience with extended oil intervals on the Detroit's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back