Good cheap router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and thanks in advance. My router has died so I am looking to replace. I do not do much. Mostly just laptop, some netflix streaming to my ps3, and now I have a cell phone that does wifi calling. So is there a good router that is easy to set up for around $50?

I got a cheap D-Link off woot.com for less than that over 6 years ago. Still running fine. I think you'd be fine with any from Netgear, D-Link or Asus. They're pretty basic, but most include a firewall, and many just use a wizard to set them up. You could also check mcmelectronics.com, I've had good luck with their products too.

The basic routers are decent. Even Sams, BJ and Walmart sell them. If you get a router it will have a firewall, wireless and NAT. What you do not want is a router with no wireless or a wireless access point only.

Very few hackers are getting past even a basic firewall from the outside. They get inside by phishing then exploit other weaknesses.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
So is there a good router that is easy to set up for around $50?

Yes.

"In his review of the TL-WDR3500, Legit Reviews’ Ken Brown praises the router’s “Quick Setup” tool (which the TL-WDR3600 also features): “For those who aren’t as comfortable tweaking and optimizing router settings manually, TP-Link allows the user to use a Quick Setup Wizard. This is great for the first time user who just wants to plug in and go. While it doesn’t hit all the options the router is capable of, using the Quick Setup gets a novice user up and going with little pain.”

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-router/

steaming hd to ps3... might need something beyond a cheapo for that.

you get what you pay for.

if you are looking for budget tp link has some decent models for 50-80$ range.

most important read amazon and newegg reviews of the model.. and dont buy any refurb newegg routers.. they are usually horrible.

Agreed buy new, I like Netgear and Linksys. You get what you pay for... and if you don't live in a condo, have your wifi public is a non issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Agreed buy new, I like Netgear and Linksys. You get what you pay for... and if you don't live in a condo, have your wifi public is a non issue.

If by, "Have your wifi public", you mean broadcasting your SSID, that is a non-issue, wherever you live, as long as you have proper security set up on your router.

If you don't have proper security set up, then NOT broadcasting your SSID won't help you.

Get something made by Netgear. Warranty and support I feel is better. I will never by a DLink product again. I had too many failures and it is very difficult to talk to somebody there. They also gave me the impression that they don't care.

TP-Link TL-WR740N v4

It was under $20. I'm sure the factory firmware is fine but I reflashed it to DD-WRT.

It's a clone of another TPLink that I bought a few years ago, flashed, and that has been rock solid since, knock on wood. You get fun options like being able to limit your TV device's Netflix throughput so the other computers still work quickly.

Ok thank you everybody! I have been doing some research and found there is a new spec instead of N there is an AC so since mine is broke I think it makes sense to go ahead to get the new spec for about 20 dollars more than I wanted to spend....so im looking at this one. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C5-...eywords=routers

What does everyone think of this one?

Amazon had the TP-LINK routers on sale awhile back. I replaced an ancient Linksys with an Archer C7 a few months ago and It has been smooth sailing.

Got it up and running....seems good so far. Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back