Snapper Push Mower: rebuild or replace carb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an older snapper mower - Quantum Power 4hp

Seldom used but when used, used very hard.

Having carb issues and, from reading other similar posts, it's been suggested that a replacement is better than a rebuild given the cost, time,... In those circumstances, though, the replacement carbs seem to go for about $30

From what I've found on eBay, Amazon and others, the replacement carb for this mower is approaching $60. I haven't yet found a rebuild kit but will keep looking

Briggs Engine #: 121702-3141-01

From what I can tell, replacement carb #: 494216

I'm not here very often and the grass can be very high when I get up here. And I usually just have a weekend to get things done. Also, any store is a solid 30 miles away so I try to come prepared and want to avoid having to head out for stuff if possible.

I guess, based on above, I'm leaning toward just choking on the cost of a replacement carb but can someone talk me out of it? If it were a $30 fix, it would be a no brainer

Anyone have any experience with these units and their cArbs?

Thank you

Last edited:
First Off...Whats wrong with it that you feel you need a New One.
Alot of times you can just add Techron or Seafoam to the gas of a badly running engine and it will fix it. Or take the Jet out and clean it and will fix it.

These are pretty simple carbs, so a rebuild shouldn't be too time consuming.
OTOH, a plug and play new carb would save you an hour or so.
A couple of ounces of Berryman's might also solve your carb problems at around three bucks and change for the whole can.

Is it an aluminum deck Snapper?

I'll do you a huuuuuge favor and take it off your hands. $30?

(Kidding! ... mostly)

Originally Posted By: Finz

What's the date code? They have three different carburetors depending on the date code.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
First Off...Whats wrong with it that you feel you need a New One.
Alot of times you can just add Techron or Seafoam to the gas of a badly running engine and it will fix it. Or take the Jet out and clean it and will fix it.

I agree with this. Take out the jet on the bottom and clean it with carb cleaner. And put some Seafoam in the gas tank. Then see if you are still having problems.

If you're handy enough to take it apart and rebuild it, you should spend no money on a new carb or a rebuild kit. Just clean it...we can give you the specifics.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

What's the date code? They have three different carburetors depending on the date code.

Where do I find the date code?

Could it be: 90111405?

That's about it for the numbers I can find stamped on the engine

Thanks for the input... I'm handy enough to get myself into some pretty good jams..!

I think the bowl had fuel in from last fall so it was hard starting.... Would sputter out after a shot of starting fluid.

I removed the bowl which was nice and clean and then when taking off the carb to do a cleaning, the gasket came apart in my hand. Side note: never saw such a "stained" float before. Was more tan what white. But the float and needle worked like a charm setting itself in nicely

When the gasket fell apart, I knew it needed more work than I was prepared for at this time.

I had been running MMO mixture in the gas for the last 2 seasons so I'm fairly confident the carb is in pretty good shape.

My problem is IF I do the rebuild kit and it doesn't work, I traveled 6 hours up to rural VT and am now skunked until my next trip

Unfortunately, I can't bring the mower back to nj with me... If I could, wouldn't be an issue as I have the tools and shops close by

Believe me... Dropping $60 when I'm sure $30 would do it, annoys the snot out of me but this is more a logistical matter now

And Merkava notes that depending on the date code, I'm faced with 3 possible rebuild kits... Sheesh

Just back from dinner... On the way, stopped by a John Deere dealership. Oh boy, those greens are lovely machines. The 2025 was whispering to me to take her home.

With the ethanol fuels, I find myself replacing carbs on customer's mowers more often, especially Tecumseh carbs. You can find Tecumseh Snow King carbs for $22, which is worth it IMO. Sometimes I can clean the carb a few times, and the thing still won't run right. Not sure how much the Briggs Quantum carb is, but if its not much more than the rebuild kit then I'd go for it. The rebuild kits are a rip-off. They charge you $30 for a bunch of tiny pieces and a few gaskets.

Could it be: 90111405?

Yes that's it. The entire number would be 121702-3141-01-90111405

494216 Carburetor Used After Date Code 90060300
493764 Carburetor Used Before Date Code 90060400
493627 Carburetor Used Before Date Code 93080200 (for type number 0273)

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Not sure how much the Briggs Quantum carb is, but if its not much more than the rebuild kit then I'd go for it.

They don't list a rebuild kit on the IPL under one part number. All the parts are available as separate kits. And I should add that installing a rebuild kit won't help you if the passages behind the welch plug are blocked.

Thanks Merkava...

That settles it, then. 494216 it is

Many thanks for all the great help.

Mower was made in 1990. 25 years old.

This is why I recommend people avoid the MTD and Murray mowers and get a good higher quality mower. The good ones last decades.

I had a snapper self propel that was hard to start a few weeks ago. I changed the plug and added a cap or two of B-12 chemtool (or seafoam can be used too) to the gas tank filled with fresh gas and after getting it cranked I let it run for about 5 mins.

B12 is stronger as there are more solvents.

Carbs are easier to buy new and change out than rebuild.
Especially when they are under $30 mainly

All my small engine carbs are tank mounted syphon carbs and no amount of cleaner in the gas tank is gonna clean the screens on those carbs. I use carb cleaner, but it's in a spray can for spraying the screens out when the carb is disassembled. I got one tank mounted Briggs Pulsa-Prime carb on a Craftsman push mower that's so easy to work on, I can have the carb off, cleaned, and reinstalled in 20 minutes.

You guys with float carburetors have it made because you can run an inline fuel filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back