I went to clean my K&N air filter today and.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I would be furious.

My first thought also.

Love or hate the K&N, the bottom line here is that a service technician removed an expensive aftermarket part and replaced it with a lower cost unit, without telling the customer and while performing a service that did not involve the part in any way. I would be reporting it to the shop; at the very least the owner/manager needs to know his employee is stealing.

Originally Posted By: Throt
I've been thinking about getting one, are they really worth the 50 bucks?

I'd say that really depends upon the application. I suggest they do better in a much older application than they would in a more modern application. I've always liked the idea, however, of how they can reduce maintenance and maintenance costs (very slightly of course) and waste over the long term.

An old vehicle with a carb might see some benefits (i.e. my old F-150). My G37 won't be seeing them anytime soon, though.

Originally Posted By: Falken
The guy saved you a boatload of engine wear if you didn't look at the thing for 2 years.

But, theft is theft...

It's hardly theft. You'd have a hard time proving he stole it for personal use. It's much more likely he tossed it by mistake.

You asked for a service and that's what you got. It would have been irresponsible for them to leave in a dirty filter.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
You asked for a service and that's what you got. It would have been irresponsible for them to leave in a dirty filter.

Come on now. Did you not read the initial post? (Italics are mine):

Originally Posted By: Joe1

... The receipt I received did not mention anything about air filter replacement.

The air filter cover has a big honking sticker on it that says "STOP, Do not discard. This vehicle is equipped with a lifetime filter" etc etc.

I have NEVER seen an item replaced without it being charged to the customer. This is not an accident but rather an intentional act.

Originally Posted By: 1942
Been there done that messy bloody things, pain in the [censored] they did you a favour

I sentiments exactly , well said : messy bloody things .

I don't plan to bring it up as it has been several months. The owner of the shop is a stand up guy. I assume one of his employees was the culprit. I'll learn my lesson from this and move on.

If the owner of the shop is a good guy, then he'd likely want to know about it.

Just tell him, and let it go at that.

Well I was in the neighborhood today and decided to stop by the garage to speak to the owner. I explained to him that I suspect my K&N was discarded when I had it serviced.

He was very apologetic and confided to me that one of his mechanics was responsible for tossing multiple K&N filters over the last year or so. He has received remedial training and has been cured of the issue. Apparently, a few clients complained and he investigated the situation.

He offered to replace the filter and give me a free oil change and wash wax and detail of my vehicle. I thought that was a magnanimous gesture on his behalf. I declined all the free offers but feel better that I spoke to the owner of the shop. He thanked me for bringing it to his attention.

Well I was in the neighborhood today and decided to stop by the garage to speak to the owner. I explained to him that I suspect my K&N was discarded when I had it serviced.

He was very apologetic and confided to me that one of his mechanics was responsible for tossing multiple K&N filters over the last year or so. He has received remedial training and has been cured of the issue. Apparently, a few clients complained and he investigated the situation.

He offered to replace the filter and give me a free oil change and wash wax and detail of my vehicle. I thought that was a magnanimous gesture on his behalf. I declined all the free offers but feel better that I spoke to the owner of the shop. He thanked me for bringing it to his attention.
I woulda had a hard time turning down the free service.

Good outcome for everyone and I agree, not accepting the free offers was the gentlemanly thing to do considering the apology.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I have NEVER seen an item replaced without it being charged to the customer...
First time for everything ...

The plot has thickened. When I had it serviced, I requested an oil change with the Mobil 1 and OEM Subaru filter l supplied .

This marked the first time someone other than me changed the oil on this vehicle since it was purchased new in 05.

I had a Fumoto valve installed..... Can anybody guess what is installed there now? I am at a loss for words.

Same shop? Same job? Same magnanimous boss?

Get him to make you whole again. Accept his detail offer. You needn't raise hades, it's already been raised.

Ask if the employee has had remedial training in leaving Fomotos put. TELL HIM the correct Fomoto number. Don't let him say he'll order it.

Get the meth-head employee fired! Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back