Alternator, After market vs. Dealer OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
My alternator just went in my 98 Expedition 5.4 L Engine 188K Miles. It had a Bosch alternator when I bought it at 125K miles.
I am not sure how much a new alternator is from the dealer, but Advanced Auto and AutoZone offer new alternators with lifetime warranty for around 200.00.
They claim to exceed OEM specifications.
Anybody have any input on new and re-built alternators from these places, vs spending the extra money on a dealer part?
Any otrher recommendations for readily available alternators? Any favorite brands?
I would like to get at least 50K to 75 K af worry free miles out of the replacement alternator.
Also have the issue of trying to do the repair on a Sunday before work on Monday and parts departments at the dealership are closed on Sundays, but if a dealer alternator is far superior, I might wait and spend the extra money, but only if it makes sense to do so.

Its been a few years but all the alternator I have gotten from auto zone have been [censored] for me. I made full use of there Warranty. Since then I have gotten them from Napa or car quest

It's a tough call, but what would be the deciding factor to me is how difficult it is to replace. If it's a pain, get the OE and hope you'll never replace it again. If it's pretty easy then get the aftermarket.

It seems like lifetime warranties don't really mean much anymore. I have had a few items that I pt in aftermarket, only to have regrets later down the road, when I have to replace them again...yeah the part is free to replace, but the labor sucks. I don't want to have to replace the aletrnator again any time soon.

Local rebuilders are probably closed on Sundays. Since the Bosch alternator lasted a while, you may want to get another one. I think Pepboys carries Bosch products.

If you get the Advance auto parts new units, they are usually Remy which is a solid choice. I got one for my Buick recently and used the $40 off $100 code and got a sweet deal.

I would also search for starter and alternator rebuilders locally which can be the cheapest and most reliable option.

If the location is easy to replace, the lifetime warranty options from parts stores are good choices. If it's hard to get to, get the oem.

Alternators and starters i go for the auto zone ones they have a lifetime warranty and we do a lot of business with auto zone so i have a platinum commercial account with them and get them really cheap. It does not pay to go to the dealer for them because they are too expensive and i had problems with them a few times anyway.

I would avoid Autozone if at all possible, the Advance auto rebuilds are superior in my opinion. I have had awful luck with Autozone remans going through ones every year until I got an upgrade to a new unit because they were out of stock on the reman, thank God.

I did some forum surfing and I wasn't the only one having issues with Autozone alternators and starters too!

Don't forget to use the coupon codes for Advance Auto, I think WD518 is supposed to work, $50 off $125+. I've used their alternators before and I guess it's still holding up so far.

Grab a Remy from AA, it has a lifetime warranty. Its so easy to change on this vehicle you can do it in a few min.
Buy it online with a discount code then just pick it up.

Last edited:
I always rebuild them myself. They are all repairable. I just fixed the Bosch on my Dodge. Just needed new brushes, Didn't even have to remove it from the car. $4 at O'Reillys. Check your brushes first, they are a wear item.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's a tough call, but what would be the deciding factor to me is how difficult it is to replace. If it's a pain, get the OE and hope you'll never replace it again. If it's pretty easy then get the aftermarket.
+ 1

Originally Posted By: Fitz98
My alternator just went in my 98 Expedition 5.4 L Engine 188K Miles. It had a Bosch alternator when I bought it at 125K miles.
I am not sure how much a new alternator is from the dealer, but Advanced Auto and AutoZone offer new alternators with lifetime warranty for around 200.00.
They claim to exceed OEM specifications.
Anybody have any input on new and re-built alternators from these places, vs spending the extra money on a dealer part?
Any otrher recommendations for readily available alternators? Any favorite brands?
I would like to get at least 50K to 75 K af worry free miles out of the replacement alternator.
Also have the issue of trying to do the repair on a Sunday before work on Monday and parts departments at the dealership are closed on Sundays, but if a dealer alternator is far superior, I might wait and spend the extra money, but only if it makes sense to do so.
"Just went" is a term people use to sell you new ones. As several others have said, brushes wear out and are cheap and easy to change...ON the car if you can get to the back of the unit.

If you had a newer ford truck you can get a slightly used alt (10 miles!) off ebay that was yanked at an ambulance/ RV upfitter.

They take the cab & chassis, drive it across town, and yank that almost new alt.

I'd need the "ford part number decoder ring" to cross-reference.
frown.gif

Even if somehow a rebuilt used "better parts" like higher rated diodes, I expect the basic design of the alt, if not re-wound, to make only a specific max current.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Grab a Remy from AA, it has a lifetime warranty....Buy it online with a discount code then just pick it up.

+1 Didn't understand this comment at first as I didn't see an AAP Remy option for said vehicle. However upon closer inspection of the AAP comments section it appears the Carquest/ToughOne are by Remy. And the Remy is one of the heart/most popular choices on Rock Auto too.

There is a reman and a new option and as mentioned both with lifetime warranty.

New $177, reman $152. New has $12 core, reman $27.

Use code WD518, take $50 off either one. So after code and core return, new $115, reman $75.

Normally with the LT warranty parts options consider difficulty of installation first with choice. Based on all information posted including installation/location, the AAP choices make sense imo.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I would avoid Autozone if at all possible, the Advance auto rebuilds are superior in my opinion. I have had awful luck with Autozone remans going through ones every year until I got an upgrade to a new unit because they were out of stock on the reman, thank God.

I did some forum surfing and I wasn't the only one having issues with Autozone alternators and starters too!

Both Autozone and Advance domestic reman alternators are remanufactured by Remy. Luck of the draw

Some years ago the OEM alternator on my F-150, 4.6 went bad, any rpm over 2200 it would stop charging and the dash light came on indicating this. My mechanic used a Napa alternator and it's been great for many years and miles. No matter the load I put on it it never flinches.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Trav
Grab a Remy from AA, it has a lifetime warranty....Buy it online with a discount code then just pick it up.

+1 Didn't understand this comment at first as I didn't see an AAP Remy option for said vehicle. However upon closer inspection of the AAP comments section it appears the Carquest/ToughOne are by Remy. And the Remy is one of the heart/most popular choices on Rock Auto too.

There is a reman and a new option and as mentioned both with lifetime warranty.

New $177, reman $152. New has $12 core, reman $27.

Use code WD518, take $50 off either one. So after code and core return, new $115, reman $75.

Normally with the LT warranty parts options consider difficulty of installation first with choice. Based on all information posted including installation/location, the AAP choices make sense imo.

Yes, things have been changing at AA. The new line is tough one and its much better quality than the old reman stuff they carried before acquiring Car Quest.
Car Quest supplies a lot of local businesses and carried better lines some of which have just been rebranded and sold by AA. The rebuilt calipers for example now have a plating on them and much better than before.

AA honors their warranty no problems at all if you need it. I cant knock the place, i'm satisfied with AA.
Sometimes you just cant wait for shipping, the car needs to go today. NAPA around here has lousy hours and way over priced even for commercial accounts.

BTW If you talk to the manager you can get all or part of the labor back if you paid to have the part installed and the part fails.
I got $250 cash right out of the register for a quickly approved claim for labor on a defective steering rack.
Of course i gave myself a receipt for parts and labor.

Last edited:
I opted to go with the AA New. 150.00 including the 12.00 core and after the 50.00 code. Thanks for all the advice.
Is Carquest the same as Remy? My alternator box was marked Carquest.
Very easy changeout, so with lifetime warranty, I shouldn't have to buy another one as long as I own the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back