Mobil 1 Extended Performance or regular Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both M1 and M1 Extended Performance are the same price at Amazon. Looking to buy two 5 quart jugs by the end of the month and use the M1 $12 rebate.

Vehicle is a new 2014 Ford Edge with the 3.5L regular engine (i.e.: not DI or turbo - the 2.4L is the Ecoboost). I plan to do the first oil change around 2000 miles which should be about the end of June.

After the initial oil change I plan to follow the OLM down to about 10%. Plan on using the associated Motorcraft filter.

So which oil should I buy considering they are the same price? M1 or M1EP?

get EP. but also look for the shipping dates and if they actually have it in stock.

If they're the same price, why not go for the EP?

Of course EP isn't necessary unless you plan on going to 15k. Regular M1 is usually good to at least 10k.

Why not wait until the OLM for the first oil change? 2000 miles seems like a waste.

Are there differences in the base stock between M1 and M1EP? Or is the main difference a higher TBN? Any other differences noteworthy?

Amazon will have the M1EP in stock on May 9.

One other thing:

In the future I'd also probably get M1 at Costco when they run their specials. They don't have M1EP. But I know M1 is a great oil in its own right and I'm always looking for a deal. I may even run QSUD if I soon move to an area that has a Menards and can take advantage of their $3/qt after rebate offers.

So I'm just looking for info. for now I guess. I'll probably get the M1EP this time since it is the same price, and see if they are having a MIR next time I need it (shouldn't be for a year). Wish the sump was 5 quarts instead of 6 with all the jugs being 5. Individual quarts are expensive!

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Are there differences in the base stock between M1 and M1EP? Or is the main difference a higher TBN? Any other differences noteworthy?

I believe more PAO in EP basestock than regular M1.

Just buy an extra jug and take out a qt when needed?
I use an empty qt bottle and refill it from the jug.

You might also consider 0W-20 AFE, which is what our resident M1 loyalist uses in his two Fords.
You could also consider a little slumming at Walmart, since they have M1 at under $24.00/jug ATM.
You could register your new ride on both the Pennzoil and QS websites, which gains you a twenty dollar MIR for PP and QSUD.
I've never had a problem with this particular rebate, unlike many offered by SOPUS.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

I believe more PAO in EP basestock than regular M1.

Correct. EP has more PAO.

Go with the EP.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
It may be anecdotal, but in my sisters Cruze I definitely had more burn off with the EP. Enough to make me switch back to regular Mobil 1.

Maybe that's how they get the added interval, they just make sure you have to top it off!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back