Quick shock/strut question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I installed rear Bilstein HD shocks in a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero.
The happy news the elimination of horrible grunting and groaning from the rear end.
The car has 100K.
I absolutely want to do the front struts as a matter of course and my question is this:
Does it make sense to buy the corresponding front strut (the Bilstein HD)?
Is it THE smart thing to do? Are the Bilstein products really engineered for my car?
Is it dopey to buy something else of good quality (Sachs, say) to save $80-$90? Thanks Kira

I have found its good to get matched sets when it comes to shocks/ struts.

Bilstein do ride different, stiffer usually than other options and its possible you could end up with a softer front strut and stiffer rear shock. Great for drag racing a FWD car
smile.gif
but may not give you a happy ride on your daily drive.

I'm a fan of all 4 should be the same

and Bilstein shocks are the best! I'd buy them for any car they're available on

I have Bilsteins on my 03 CRV. They've been on for about 50,000 miles and give a very firm ride. Personally my wife thinks the ride is too stiff but I like the ride. I get a true feel for the road with Bilsteins.

Go with Bilstein HDs on the front as well.

In the last couple weeks, I replaced struts/shocks on my Saab 9-5 wagon with Bilstein Sports--same valving as HDs but a little shorter. With the new poly bushings up front and Aero springs/brakes/bars, it is the best handling and car I have ever had. No, I never had a Corvette or 911.

My only suggestion is to make sure you keep the receipt. Most shocks/struts have a lifetime warranty unless you buy a low end product. I'm on my 3rd set of struts on my current car, lost the receipt for the rear struts and had to buy them again, but still had them for the front so I've had 2 free sets of front struts.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Today I installed rear Bilstein HD shocks in a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero.
The happy news the elimination of horrible grunting and groaning from the rear end.
The car has 100K.
I absolutely want to do the front struts as a matter of course and my question is this:
Does it make sense to buy the corresponding front strut (the Bilstein HD)?
Is it THE smart thing to do? Are the Bilstein products really engineered for my car?
Is it dopey to buy something else of good quality (Sachs, say) to save $80-$90? Thanks Kira

PM JHZR2, i seem to remember him doing a writeup on bilsteins on a saab. I think he has a 9-3.

Hello, Many thanks. I sorta knew the answer but it's ALWAYS GOOD to hear personal experiences.
The matching H-D's it is.

On a slightly different note: My friend's son is doing shocks/struts and at least one rear wheel bearing replacement on a 2003 Saab 9-3.
The left and right front struts are specific (no big deal) AND he has the option to select Bilstein cartridges.

THAT'S a money saver to be sure. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back