Ram Reeks of Fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longtime lurker, first-time poster. My grandparents have an '88 Ram with the TBI 318. After noticing a slight smell of gas, we popped the air filter off; it and everything around it reek of gas. I haven't seen any leaks, truck runs fine and gets exactly the mileage you'd expect (low to mid teens city). I assume this isn't normal? They're fairly close to selling the truck anyway (not a daily driver by any means) and any major repairs would make that decision for them.

Thoughts?

Try some Techron Fuel System cleaner or Gumout Regane. If that does not solve the problem it is either a injector or fuel pressure issue. From the sound of things you do not want to take the time to run this problem down.

If it reeks of fuel, it has to be leaking from somewhere. There aren't many place this can leak from, have you closely looked at the hoses?

The fuel hoses in the engine compartment are deteriorating. Right now they are seeping, eventually, one will spring a leak, and boom, big fire. I had that problem with an 87 omni and later a 89 caravan. E-10 is killing them. Mopars in the 80's were bad for that.

if you sell it, you better disclose the fuel leak, if i was selling it i could not sleep at night.

or fix it, then sell it. that year/vintage is now more valuable then it was 5-10 years ago.

Last edited:
How much would it cost to buy 3 or 4 feet of fuel hose? I've had off cuts of fuel hose for free from part stores in the past, sometimes they want a few pennies per meter.

If it smells that bad when it's running you should be able to see a leak somewhere.

Patch it up and save them from a fiery death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back