New shocks on 02 Montero - which ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put my new tires (Treadwright Guard Dogs) on this morning and could see the rube is very rusted on the factory shocks.
I have been looking at KYB Gas a-just, and might see if there are some Ranchos. Not sure if Ranchos are still what they used to be since now they are owned by Tenneco who also owns Monroe. Have heard good things about Bilsteins too.

Any suggestion?
Thanks.

Should probably add that currently I do not tow and mostly on road use. Got the aggressive new tires for a vacation so I can do some off roading in the 4X4 area and for snow use in the winter.

Bilstein is always a great choice. I'd get them for any car they're available for.

My second choice would be KYB Gas-a-just, but get the Bilsteins if you can.

Another good shock is Koni Heavy Track, but they are fairly expensive. They're adjustable.

Too bad you just missed the rebate promos for Monroe, KYB, and Gabriel.

Bilstein or Koni.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Gabriel Ultra

Our current favorite here on everything from a Mazda/Ranger to a 3500 van loaded to gvwr at 9600 pounds. Ultras are GREAT shocks at a good price point.

That said, Bilsteins are wonderful, but expensive as the dickens...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Bilsteins are wonderful, but expensive as the dickens...

Bilstein's truck shocks aren't that expensive, actually. Mostly it's their car shocks (and especially struts) that carry the obscene price tags.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Bilsteins are wonderful, but expensive as the dickens...

Bilstein's truck shocks aren't that expensive, actually. Mostly it's their car shocks (and especially struts) that carry the obscene price tags.

Just depends what you call expensive. I buy 4 Gabriel Ultras for less than two Bilsteins for my trucks.

Bilstein is OEM on my sig car, absolutely top notch products. But they are simply not cost effective in our fleet trucks...

I don't have a Montero but a very similar vehicle, '98 Acura SLX (re-badged Trooper).

I changed the shocks a few years ago and if I had it to do again, for the dollar value I'd use the KYB Gas-a-just.

Based on quite a few recommendations, I went with Monroe Sens-a-Trac. They are OK, but soften up quite a bit it w/o too many miles on them (like, within 15/20k). Since then, I have put KYB Excel in our 02 ES300 and the value/handling/quality is fantastic. I like Bilstein's, too, and have some in an Audi sedan. But for value in a vehicle like that, I'd now go with the KYB. In fact I've been toying with throwing away the (still perfectly good) front Monroe's and putting in KYB later this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back