Purolator L-1222(CUT OPEN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again folks. Here we have a Purolator L-1222 from a Dodge Dart with PP 5w20 with 6,900~ on it. Manufactured October 17th, 2014 also. No slits in center tube though. This "slit" thing has me concerned as I have cut 4 other Made by Purolators that have slits in their center tubes. Cut those at work so didn't get chance to take pics. All were made in Late November, mid December 2014. Enjoy the pics and any questions ask. Also, I smudged two pleats as prayed can open after thought K cut all the way thru. No pleats were torn btw, except when I pryed on metal endcap
2lbhx7k.jpg

14wcaq9.jpg

lumi9.jpg

sdh2s6.jpg

11bn1fs.jpg

16ay3bt.jpg

2ivubq.jpg

flwwzm.jpg

Originally Posted By: car51
..... I have cut 4 other Made by Purolators that have slits in their center tubes.

Never seen a Puro made filter using slotted/louvered centertube design. And afaik there's never been one posted here since I've been a member. If pics aren't available, be interested to know the brands.

That said, Champ, Clarcor/Baldwin/Hastings have long used the slotted design and are generally considered quality filter. Using a louvered design would be of no concern to me.

As for the filter, no tears and 6900 miles is good. If the endcap was attached, then it's as designed.

Sayjac, the other 4 were a Tec-Select 3387A, from our old Chevy cargo, misc use van with the 4.3v-6, and a Mighty filter from a 14' GMC Yukon. Both manufactured November 2014 time frame. Other 2 were valvoline filters that are white with the light&dark blue painting on them. Those were made late december 2014. I just wonder why Purolator has switched some of their "jobber" filters to louvers instead of the holes in the center tube.

^^^Since you posted the Promotive, could well be. Tried to find an older TecSelect but the pics are no longer visible on Bitog.

Found an older (2010) Puro made for Performax though, similar to a recent Proline, and it has circular openings.

So perhaps Mann and Hummel has made a change for some Puro made for jobber filters.

Yeah, if I would have had the thought, and my ancient but reliable FUJI digital camera I would have snapped pics. Busy week and running all over the place. If I get some more jobber ones like this I'll grab them and take them home and cut them.

I think there may be some confusion, at least on my part. Are you saying there are slits in the tube, or there are slits in the bottom of the media valley next to the tube like the other Puro jobber filters you posted???

KCJeep, I meant that the steel tube has slits in it instead of the holes that Purolators had/have. No slits in bottom of media valley. Sorry for any confusion.

Odd, that's not a typical Puorlator bypass valv, either. Subcontracting some filter models out maybe?

As for bypass design, some applications use the down the centertube coil spring type used on this application, and some use flat spring.

Here's pics of the bypass from a PL14459 showing the coil spring type.

0d6adaf9-ce6f-4c3a-a01d-e074a2d48528.jpg

c74e76a3-3f87-4c54-9e8a-efef0fbc8714.jpg

Good pictures. I have a new Bosch WS or "workshop filter" here, their lowest offering. The center tube holes were punched out mainly on the spiral ridges in the center tube. This leaves like a thin bridge of metal over the hole. That's very bad, as bad or worse than a hole in the media. Potentially a piece of metal is headed for the main bearings. The Bosch Premium I also have here has the holes punched out between the ridges like it should be. To my eyes your Classic has the holes punched on the ridges too.
Normally I never look into or at an oil filter much, glad I did.

I have a feeling that lots of the reported failures are fake and they tear the media or ADBV on purpose.

Last edited:
Well I have a feeling there are a few trolls on this site that blame the people cutting the filters instead of blaming the junk Tearolators filters.

+1000 Nate1979. I think my $15 harbor freight cutter does o.k. For what it is. May build my own cutter; thinking about that next for some diesel filters I have

At the end of the day, i couldnt care less since i dont use any of these brands so theres no way im being a fanboy but i do think theres something fishy in some of these reports.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noobie
At the end of the day, i couldnt care less since i dont use any of these brands so theres no way im being a fanboy but i do think theres something fishy in some of these reports.

Then man up and call a liar a liar. Don't be a little [censored] and dance around the issue.

That filter was in use for way to long BUT it held up well. So much for the tearolator myth huh? New construction, lengthy OCI and no tears! Thanks for the pics car51, I always love seeing "classic" Purolator photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back