5-40 v.s. 10-40 UTV application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just like most others when something is new we try and go by the book with our new machines requirements, With my new UTV, im no different. The 2015 Teryx v-twin 800cc Manual is calling for 10-40 Motorcycle oil as this machine is equipped with a wet clutch. Ive been using 5w-40 RT-6 in my Polaris Ranger that's spec'd for 2w=50 for years with no detectable side effects. My point is Im not afraid to stick with what I know works well (the RT-6 5W-40) However im also inclined to stick with the 10-40 recommendation as its a brand new machine and I have the "by the book" bug.. Ive used RT6 in 3 different motorcycles and two different atv's and everything from 1000cc Crotch rockets to 250cc twins and never noticed any difference in temps, clutch feel or performance between the spec'd oil and the RT6. so stick with the RT6 after I dump my break in oil, or do you have any suggestion's for a 10w-40 that the book calls for ? They suggest 20 hours on break in oil and then every 50 hours after that. ALSO: Book says to change the front and rear diffs at 20 hours as well what are we using in the front and rear diffs with good results (synthetic) ?
Thanks Otis.

No way am I planning to overpay for Kawasaki branded conventional oil at $8-$9 a quart.

Is there a spec that Kawi wants? If it's JASO MA, then RT6 is "better" than 10w-40 that's recommended. A little better cold start performance.

I would do what you're doing, run RT6 in 5w-40 and ride. Keep in mind the 0w-40 RT6 is not JASO MA.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Is there a spec that Kawi wants? If it's JASO MA, then RT6 is "better" than 10w-40 that's recommended. A little better cold start performance.

I would do what you're doing, run RT6 in 5w-40 and ride. Keep in mind the 0w-40 RT6 is not JASO MA.

yeah, Kawi in my average temp is stating 10w-40 they have a fairly elaborate scale showing a lot of oil choices in different temps.

If it calls for a motorcycle oil, why not use it? There are several brands and weights designed for wet clutches.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
If it calls for a motorcycle oil, why not use it? There are several brands and weights designed for wet clutches.

you know what makes a "motorcycle oil, a motorcycle oil" correct ?

I would think the Kawi engine would be much harder on oil than the Polaris engine because of the wet clutch. And I believe Kawi also has an integral transmission that shares the same oil. I'd look for a good 10w40 moto oil as it would likely not shear as badly as T6.

Nope, just manufacture's info:

Mobil 1 Racing 4T has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to help provide optimum horsepower and acceleration. This full synthetic motorcycle oil helps provide excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are either: Designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system, or Designed so that the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. (Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission.)]Mobil 1 T4

Last edited:
I'd use the T6 and not think twice about it.

Has Kawasaki gone to calling for 10W-40 and nothing else? The owners manual for our Kawasaki Prairie allows for anything from 5W-30 to 20W-50 depending on the ambient temperature, although it does say that 10W-40 is "recommended for most conditions". Looking at this chart, I would think that 5W-40 would be the perfect oil for year-round use.

Im not poking fun, just sharing knowledge, In laymans terms motorcycle oil is non energy conserving and does not have added products that standard car oil would have that could cause you clutch to slip.. The manufacturers sell this "Motorcycle oil" for just stupid silly prices when other products on the market will work equally as well without spending $8-$9 a quart. RT6 is one of those products, its considered a diesel engine oil and although it does tend to shear out of grade faster than others, its price point is simply amazing.. This is why so many of us are fans of this product.

nope, your correct, I have the same chart. Thats why I was leaning towards a 10-40. Im not opposed to 5-40 (clearly) im just getting opinions.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

Im not poking fun, just sharing knowledge, In laymans terms motorcycle oil is non energy conserving and does not have added products that standard car oil would have that could cause you clutch to slip.. The manufacturers sell this "Motorcycle oil" for just stupid silly prices when other products on the market will work equally as well without spending $8-$9 a quart. RT6 is one of those products, its considered a diesel engine oil and although it does tend to shear out of grade faster than others, its price point is simply amazing.. This is why so many of us are fans of this product.

Jaso MA2 is energy conserving...

It's Jaso MA. (Not MA2). Look deeper on this site, Rotella is probably the most trusted motorcycle oil, that's not a "motorcycle oil" on this site. I trust it, I just dumped 4 4 quarts in my brand new side by side 20 minutes ago

Mobil 1 Racing 4T has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to help provide optimum horsepower and acceleration. This full synthetic motorcycle oil helps provide excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are either: Designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system, or Designed so that the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. (Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission.)]Mobil 1 T4

Marketing fluff

It's Jaso MA. (Not MA2). Look deeper on this site, Rotella is probably the most trusted motorcycle oil, that's not a "motorcycle oil" on this site. I trust it, I just dumped 4 4 quarts in my brand new side by side 20 minutes ago

We both missunderstood each other
smile.gif

I tought that you said that there is no "energy conserving" motocycle oil...

And you tought that I said that Rotella is MA2 specd...

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

No way am I planning to overpay for Kawasaki branded conventional oil at $8-$9 a quart.

Get it here for $5.25 per quart.

Kawasaki 4-Stroke ATV/Utility Engine Oil 10W-40 32 oz.
Part# 1430030001

Our price: $5.25

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2935/40961/Kawasaki-4-Stroke-ATV-Utility-Engine-Oil

Why pay $5.25 a quart for dino oil when you can get T6 for about the same price and not have to wait or pay extra for shipping?

I run Honda ATV's year round on $8 gal. Rotella 15/40, if it -10 or below I leave them sit and find something else to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back