Moly and wheel bearings. Yes I've searched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: willbur
So moly is OK for wheel bearings now? Lots of discussion here indicated it was harmful for wheel bearings. That it was abrasive and ment for sliding surfacess only, or that it was too slippery. So...which is it?

I think the issue was if it had to much moly, not the moly itself. I am guessing ford wanted a 1 size fits all grease so they added enough moly to work as a decent chassis grease but not so much it would damage or impair wheel bearings. Valvoline synpower grease has a little moly in it and many use that on wheel bearings, as have I, without issue.

I use different greases for wheel bearings than chassis now as I wanted a better chassis grease. My grease gun right now has Jet-Lube 202 grease while my bearing packer has some clearance Castrol syntec grease in it.

Last edited:
There were three schools of thought on this: one held that no moly was best,another that a little is ok (like you)and the last believed no limit on moly-it was all good.

Take your pick but I would think Ford can be trusted over internet experts.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
Here is my rationale: Many (including me) won't use Moly grease in wheel bearings. While it is true, Ford/Motorcraft recommends 3% Moly, some of us have learned the hard way. My stock 1993 SWB Ford 300 six 4x4 had steep driveshaft angles. All 4 u-joints were replaced under warranty. The needles were pulverized. The Ford mechanic properly packed them with the Motorcraft moly grease...I know; I watched him do it. Before the little 1/2 ton had 60,000 miles, I had to replace the joints, this time I did the work myself, using Spicers with zerks, packing them with Chevron Delo #2, non-moly. When I sold the pickup, those Spicers had over 100,000 miles on them and were in great shape. Bottom line: Folks like me say, "Don't use grease containing any moly in wheel bearings or universals." Some tell you moly is okay in such applications. Few experienced people, including most who use the moly will tell you that you 'must' use moly grease in w.b.'s & u-joints.
...or perhaps The motorcraft grease was inferior.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
Here is my rationale: Many (including me) won't use Moly grease in wheel bearings. While it is true, Ford/Motorcraft recommends 3% Moly, some of us have learned the hard way. My stock 1993 SWB Ford 300 six 4x4 had steep driveshaft angles. All 4 u-joints were replaced under warranty. The needles were pulverized. The Ford mechanic properly packed them with the Motorcraft moly grease...I know; I watched him do it. Before the little 1/2 ton had 60,000 miles, I had to replace the joints, this time I did the work myself, using Spicers with zerks, packing them with Chevron Delo #2, non-moly. When I sold the pickup, those Spicers had over 100,000 miles on them and were in great shape. Bottom line: Folks like me say, "Don't use grease containing any moly in wheel bearings or universals." Some tell you moly is okay in such applications. Few experienced people, including most who use the moly will tell you that you 'must' use moly grease in w.b.'s & u-joints.

Generally i am in the same camp as you. I was taught never to use moly grease in U joints that was 45 years ago but still i don't do it.
The drive shaft place i use that manufactures shafts for anything from street cars to over the road trucks uses Mobil 1 synthetic in every joint, nothing else and states no moly to be used.
Pull a lubed for life U joint apart like Brute Force and its red non moly grease in there (drive shaft place says its Mobil 1, i cant confirm).

Personally i think in tapered roller and ball bearings up to 3% is okay, i prefer none but that my own preference.
I do use 5% moly in ball joints, tie rod ends, bucket, hinge pins and king pins and it seems to do well in these low speed applications.
Except for CV axles and similar type joints if it moves faster than a snails pace use regular high quality grease, that beens my philosophy for over 4 decades and it hasn't done me wrong yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back