2002 Camry head bolt issue --- only 2.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Morning,

Simple question - was the head bolt issue limited to the 2.4, or is the v6 vulnerable as well?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Only the 4 from 2002 to 2004.
Be aware that the V-6 might have the Toyota sludge issue, think 1997 to 2002.

Last edited:
Remember the 5th gen Camry also sold like crazy, it was the best selling car in America, keep that in mind when evaluating "common " problems. I've personally known 4 people that have or still have high mileage Toyota 3.0 V6, change the oil on a sane basis seems to work great!

We have seen a lot of 3.0 toyota engines with sludge issues they are prone to that. We have also seen some of them that were not so bad. the 4 cylinder toyotas used to be great engines we rarely saw them here but in the last couple of years that has changed.

+1 with ronbo said.

2AZ-FE headbolt issues ends around early production runs in 2004. No more sightings afterwards.

Also: mind you though: 2AZ-FE engine is one of the longest selling/running production engine globally, with literally millions sold and running worldwide. From a statistic point of view: if yours have not fail during the first 5 to 7yrs of operation, chances are: (a) yours is not one of them with headbolt issues; or (b) yours will never be one of those that will have headbolt issues.

I've seen headbolt issue 2AZ-FE once (it was a 2003), and with my buddy speedshop together we did a timesert kit on it. My wifey's 2004 is the post-headbolt ones that now has over 210k on the original motor, no issues at all.

Good luck.

Q.

My v6 is a 'sludge prone' engine. Some varnish, but not bad. Car has records from original owner. 3k changes till I bought it in 2010...5-6k since. Not worried about sludge, if records are available.

Lastly, to help ease your mind a bit: most camrys (or 2AZ-FE blocks) that have headbolt issues should have either been (a) wrecked/junked by now due to mileage/cyclical thermal expansion induced headbolt failure; or (b) promptly repaired by mech with timesert kit or similar, or (c) later production run that does not come with headbolt issues to begin with.

so, if you are to pursue one of these running 2AZ-FE engines, you should have better luck RE: no longer suffers from headbolt failure issues.

Q.

If the OP is considering a 2002 V6. If the fact and proof that the oil wasn't change on a regular bases, I would pass. If synthetic oil was used, there will NO sludge problem.

The 2.4 since I have a 2004 RAV , 124,000 miles, with the 2.4 engine and the vehicle was built in late 2003 I follow the head bolt problem. In my opinion, until my vehicle is junked the potential will always be there. A $440 kit and 3 days for a DIY repair, if need arises.

I also have a 2001 Avalon V6 with the known sludge problem and use synthetic oil as I did with the 97 V6 Camry before that. So no problem for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back