1500 miles a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would run it by miles up to a maximum of about 3 years. I've seen many uoas and the oil really doesn't know how long it's in service, but hours of idling and mileage on the motor are what should be used to estimate oil life.

What is the engine in question and oil being used?

Really need a bit more info to answer the question. Type of car would be a good start! If it's just an old POS, then change it every couple of years...but if it's something rare and valuable, change it every 12 months.

Going through the same thing with my motorcycle Castrol 4T 10w50. 1000 miles a season. I am going 2 years and doing a UOA with TAN to see how it is. Up until now I have been changing it annually.

Meanwhile my neighbor runs his 3+ years.
21.gif

The UOA will tell. The oil is clean as new.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Since it does freeway driving I'd change it every 2 years.

In 2004 my brother in law bought a really nice 1999 Porsche Boxter from the original owner. It was only driven for enjoyment by the original owner. It had 9,000 miles on the factory oil and filter for those 5 years. He changed it and sent it for a UOA. The report came back sterling and said he could have gone further on the oil. The oil was European Mobil 1 5W-40. If you don't drive frequently but when you do and the oil gets well up to operating temps then mileage versus months seems to be more of a deciding factor in the OCI.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Ralliart what? Colt, Lancer, Magna? If it's a turbo, and especially if you give it some stick when out for a drive, I'd change oil and filter every 2 years. As for the gear oils, I'd change everything to synthetic (which it probably had from the factory anyway) and forget about it for the next decade...

I'd go every 2 years then, which will be about 5,000km. They're a small engine making a lot of power, so I think a conservative approach like this is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back