97 Taurus brake pedal to the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a side job tomorrow and I'm anticipating some amount of weirdness with this one. The customer has. Taurus with discs all around they changed rear rotors and pads on drives rear only. Ever since this the brake pedal goes to the floor...... she said her boyfriend tried to use a c clamp and it wouldn't compress it so her brother went a rented the correct tool because the piston has to rotate to go in. I wonder if maybe he messed up the caliper pistons? She said they worked before messing with them just the one side was metal to metal and when they got done it just to the floor and won't get tight again. Since I imagine some weirdness. It's nice to see what others think. Maybe he damaged the caliper pistons? Or messed up slide pins? What do you guys think?

Probably a bad caliper, or the rubber hose died at the same time/ compressing the caliper swelled up the rubber hose and screwed it up inside.

Master cylinder was on the way out and compressing the pistons did it in?

They opened the bleeders at some point and didn't bleed the system properly?

I can't think of anything else that would cause this condition.

What kind of weirdness are we talking about? I wonder if her boyfriend let the caliper dangle by the hose. 18 year old Taurus? I wonder if the brake lines are original and couldn't handle it...not that dangling a caliper is a great idea anyway.
Either way report back with what the problem was/is!

Forcing the pistons back in was bad, but my guess is something else just happened to break at the same time.

First I would look at all the brake lines and parts for leaks. Then check the fluid level in the MC. Then try bleeding the brakes where the work was done, or even try bleeding all the brakes. If all that doesn't correct the problem, it may be master cylinder replacement time. There's only so many things that can cause a no -brake situation.,,

Be prepared to replace a lot of parts as they should be replaced in pairs. Do tell the owner that in advance...or run away

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Start simple- bleed the brakes, all of them.

Excellent start, that way you can also judge the master cyl after bleeding. Could be air, could be they killed the master cyl. Could be bad calipers and hoses on the rear.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Start simple- bleed the brakes, all of them.

/\/\/\This. Or a bad master. Anything else would have brake fluid dripping on the ground.

Master cylinder was leaking and they had a bad brake line. But the line didn't leak because master cylinder was leaking and losing pressure first.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Master cylinder was leaking and they had a bad brake line. But the line didn't leak because master cylinder was leaking and losing pressure first.

Thanks for the follow-up! It shows that the last worked on is not always the first problem created, and there can always be more than one problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back