'14 Kymco Agility 50 or '06 Honda Elite 80...???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a kymco super 8 150 for a couple of years. It was a fast scooter for its size, looked like a 50cc but was very quick from a dead stop. I did have issues with the charging system and the petcock on the tank. Topped out at 60mph( speedo's on scooters are wilding inaccurate).

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Why not ride the GZ250?

Failing that, a quick look at CL in your area found dozens of div>

He was involved in an accident while riding the GZ250, and is looking for it's replacement, it would seem.

*facepalm*

Yeah, that'd do it...

Originally Posted By: WANG
Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
I might have an option on a used (year unknown) Kymco People 50 2T but folks on here seem to not prefer the Kymco brand

I doubt that anyone on here who has "not preferred" the Kymco brand really has any experience with the brand.

I'm around and ride scooters in the NHRA pits, all the time. The Kymco is viewed as a cheap, and not nearly as reliable alternative to Honda's, Suzuki's, and Yamaha's.

Off the top of my head, Suzuki doesn't even import their small scooters...so any comparison is irrelevant.

Kymco is good enough that BMW contracts with them for engines.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
I might have an option on a used (year unknown) Kymco People 50 2T but folks on here seem to not prefer the Kymco brand

I doubt that anyone on here who has "not preferred" the Kymco brand really has any experience with the brand.

I'm around and ride scooters in the NHRA pits, all the time. The Kymco is viewed as a cheap, and not nearly as reliable alternative to Honda's, Suzuki's, and Yamaha's.

Off the top of my head, Suzuki doesn't even import their small scooters...so any comparison is irrelevant.

Kymco is good enough that BMW contracts with them for engines.

I've seen several Burgman's running around the pits. But the Honda and Yamaha scooters are far more heavily represented.

I'm well aware that BMW uses Kymco for some engines. I recently bought a '15 BMW S1000RR. Despite that, BMW is known for being more, shall we say, problematic, than the Japanese makes.

Take my advice however you want. The fact is pretty much every racer has a pit bike, and they are usually Scooters. I know what the vast majority are using, just from casual observation. Then I've talked to some of my colleagues that have tried Kymco, only to go back to the Japanese makes.

things are not a glum as a few days ago...

the 'estimate' is several hundred $$$ less than the 'total loss' cutoff; hopefully that will be enough to avoid problems as the shop proceeds with repairs...

I found 2 GZ's nearby for sale...one is a dealer that wants $1995 for a clean 2006 with 10,000 miles (a bit steep) and the other is a private sale for $1100 for a 2006 with 3,000 miles (missing the passenger seat); my total loss amount is $1400 so I would opt for the private sale as long as it is clean and hasn't been trashed;

the insurance company will allow the accessories to be removed from the bike since they aren't covered by my policy...so if need be I buy the cheaper GZ, hopefully snag a passenger seat on ebay, transfer the passenger backrest w/ cargo rack, saddlebag supports, and engine guard and duplicate what I currently have

I am trying to be optimistic that repairs can be made to mine within the $1400 budget (and my $250 deductible)...

Should be a fair number of parts on ebay. I'd say your gz would still be a better ride than a scoot, unless you get a scoot over 250cc. I have SAW ammo boxes mounted to my GZ and i can carry more stuff than i ever could on a scooter.

Have you ever seen just how much room some scooters have? I can put 2 full helmets or 4 grocery bags under my Burgman's seat...the top box will swallow six grocery bags.

Have you ever seen just how much room some scooters have? I can put 2 full helmets or 4 grocery bags under my Burgman's seat...the top box will swallow six grocery bags.

Thats a good sized scooter, I kind of want one!

Yes, I owned a Burgman 650 for a few years, a bike with panniers and a topbox still doesn't come close to the luggage space that thing had!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back