Toyota SN 0W20, 5806 miles, 2014 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

First post.

Attached oil analysis from my 2014 4Runner. This was the first ever oil change on this vehicle.

What do you guys think?

Code:

FUEL TYPE Gasoline (Unleaded)

MAKE/MODEL Toyota 4.0L V-6 (1GR-FE)

OIL TYPE & GRADE Toyota 0W/20

Sample Date 4/18/2015

MI/HR on Oil 5,806

MI/HR on Unit 5,806

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ALUMINUM 7

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 27

COPPER 282

LEAD 2

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 147

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 3

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 45

POTASSIUM 4

BORON 4

SILICON 234

SODIUM 438

CALCIUM 1599

MAGNESIUM 5

PHOSPHORUS 596

ZINC 687

BARIUM 14

PROPERTIES

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 51

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.56

Flashpoint in °F 420

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.1

Silicon of 234? That is very high. Have a good look at your intake. Everything else looks fine.

I didn't know TGMO 0w20 consisted of Moly, Titanium and Sodium. Interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks wemay.

Blackstone Labs commented that the high Si, Iron and Copper was OK of factory oils. They said high iron and copper is coming from typical wear-in and Si from sealers.

This is a factory fill oil which could differ from the over the counter product.

The silicone isn't abrasive that you normally see in a higher mileage engine it's probably from sealers which is harmless.

Uoas are not very useful for the first few changes until break in material settle and trend down.

Basically this is normal for a factory fill.

I'm sorry, didnt realize the vehicle had so few miles. I thought the mileage was only the UOA. In which case, 901 Memphis is absolutely correct.

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks guys...I was just curious about this first oil and its the first analysis I have gotten done. Still learning a lot on these forums and trying to learn enough to do my own basic maintenance.

If you state that an early UOA is a waste then you have not seen a really bad one. With that much money invested it's worth at least a look.

I recently looked at a UOA on a brand new delivery truck that got the truck returned to the dealer for a new engine. All parties agreed that this UOA was cause enough for an engine change. On tear down it was discovered that the engine block casting was defective and the iron it shed went everywhere leaving a path of destruction in its wake. I was impressed at how much of the lubrication appeared to come from oil splashing around. This is not the kind of failure one would ever expect but exactly the kind of thing that can be identified with a UOA.

This early intervention probably saved a roadside breakdown somewhere.

UOA is great for two things.

1) Spotting pending catastrophic failure.

2)Trending data to spot progressive premature wear that will leave the powertrain unexpected broken in the future if not addressed in advance of failure.

In fact being an oil geek that does not believe in UOA is kind of like an atheist being a priest. What is the point of being on a forum about oil in motor vehicles if you have no tool to quantify and objectify your oil choices?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back