Shear stability of hps royal purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
You won't get very many positive posts about RP on this forum. PP and M1 are worshiped here, and RP is the hated red-headed step child of the forum.

Current prices @ Walmart for 5qts:

M1: $26.68
PP: $25.17
RP: $37.79

Nearly 50% more expensive without any data to justify the cost.

While you are correct, those prices are kinda irrelevant as the OP is asking about the HPS line of RP which is quite different from the API certified oil offered at Walmart. HPS is an expensive oil, is it worth it? Well let's just say you and I probably think more alike than different regarding its cost/benefit factor lol.

With that said, I've ran the API oil before and I was pleased with it. I won't pay $37+ dollars a jug for it though. The HPS would be and interesting oil to try if I had a performance vehicle without catalytic converters.

RP generally gets a bad rap here, and for the most part it is because of cost as you have noted.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I priced out amsoil locally and for the euro formula it is equally as expensive as Mobil 1.

The dealer cost of Amsoil EFM is $5.70 per qt. If you buy M1 0w-40 at Walmart in the 5 Qt jug, it's $5.34 per qt. The M1 has better specs and is a better value. BTW I'm an honest Amsoil Dealer who recommends the best options to my customers, not just Amsoil.

Either way RP is not in your list of choices unless you choose to ignore the requirements of the engine in your vehicle.

If I need a certain oil like that then why is it people are running rotella with no issue? And why is it everyone in the world will compliment them and congratulate them for using it? But when it comes to RP or amsoil everyone's like your stupid don't use it.

I could probably run 20w-50 in my M5 "with no issue". However, since it hasn't been tested and approved by BMW, I'm not going to take that risk.

And on this site you'll find that your second point there isn't going to happen, as you've noticed with this thread. Most advise using an approved and tested lubricant sanctioned by the OEM for this application. Sure you COULD deviate from that, but WHY? Your reasoning currently appears to be curiosity
21.gif

Well what about pennzoil ultra platinum? It's a 0w-40 weight but isn't approved to euro spec as far as I'm aware. Is the reason it doesn't say approved because pennzoil also has the platinum euro 5w-40? This is a serious question.

Well what about pennzoil ultra platinum? It's a 0w-40 weight but isn't approved to euro spec as far as I'm aware. Is the reason it doesn't say approved because pennzoil also has the platinum euro 5w-40? This is a serious question.

PUP 0W40 is a specialty blend for Chrysler SRT.

If you want to run RP in your application, I'd recommend the 0w-40, honestly. The 5w-30 may not have the HTHS you want, and at least the 0w-40 meets some A3/B3 type specifications. It's not an approved lube, but if I were in your shoes and wanted to run RP, that would be my choice.

The NOACK volatility on their 0w-40 is too high for many of the Euro approvals. It is just for Chrysler SRT applications, their 5w-40 is their Euro oil.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I have no opinion on RP oils as I've never used any of them, but the recent run of M1 0W-40 in my 2.7t did not shear any discernible amount in 7500 miles. This was over the coldest winter I've ever seen in WI in my 40 years.

Just stick with the M1 you are currently running and worry about the more important things in life.

My forehead is starting to bruise with all of these "what oil is best for my S4" threads that you start and I post helpful information in.

Can I run a 5w-30 in my vehicle safely? Manual says it's ok but I have heard that my car requires an hths of 3.5-4.0 and the particular oil I am considering is 3.4 or more according to manufacturer spec.

Can I run a 5w-30 in my vehicle safely? Manual says it's ok but I have heard that my car requires an hths of 3.5-4.0 and the particular oil I am considering is 3.4 or more according to manufacturer spec.

Imo don't ever go thinner than FSM spec.

You really need to forget about grade and concentrate on required specification. In your situation grade is pretty much irrelevant in light of the VW spec. Watch that and viscosity takes care of itself.

Unless you just like throwing out stuff to see who bites.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
You really need to forget about grade and concentrate on required specification. In your situation grade is pretty much irrelevant in light of the VW spec. Watch that and viscosity takes care of itself.

Unless you just like throwing out stuff to see who bites.

I agree the most important is to use an oil with the correct specs and in the right grade, especially in a Turbocharged German car. Run the oil with the correct specs.

If it was modular ford or a SBC or something then sure run whatever oil/grade you want within reason, but when you are looking for an oil for a twin turbo German car (Audi S4) it's best to use an oil that meets the recommended spec.

If I run PP it will be the euro 5w-40 formula which I can only find at autozone for $9 a quart.

You can get it from Amazon for less.

What are the effects of running an oil with a lower hths than recommened?

Excessive wear.

We seem to keep beating the same horse here. Your engine should use an oil that meets VW 502 .Any brand that has that spec on the bottle will be fine. If it doesn't, your engine won't immediately self destruct....but it may not live as long as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back