Restore Oil Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added a can of restore to the grandsons cavalier, and ran it for a while performing a compression test before and after. It did in-fact raise the compression on a weak cylinder near what the others tested.

My question is, does the stuff last?

I used Restore, once, about 30 years ago. I did notice a difference in compression, but the results were temporary. This is something you put in a car right before you sell it, IMO.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Its easier just to use thicker oil. Same idea all it does it make the oil thicker.

No. It's a bit different than that.

I analyzed Restore on our ICP at work. It does in fact contain Silver, Lead, and Copper that are colloidal metal particles. Not much silver, but some. Mostly lead and copper.

The point of this colloidal "soft" metal is that it's supposed to "smear" into the voids in the cylinder walls and possibly rings to help give a better combustion seal.

I noticed that it worked in my old K1500 as well. But it's only temporary. I also think it has a tendency to "flake" off and get trapped in the oil filter.....

I tried it in my Jeep due to a lot of positive comments on Jeep forum about it quieting lifters on the noisy 4.0. It did make my engine quieter at full temp but didnt do much at start up when it was most noticeable. As an interesting and unexpected aside, I noticed stronger pull at highway cruising speeds where the heavy WJ had been sluggish before.

Better compression maybe? Don't know I never had it tested.

I think there is some potential upside to Restore but the price discourages consistent use IMO. That I tried was snagged on close out.

If you really want to see higher compression, put an oz of that sludge......er.....restore.....Down each spark plug hole, and give it another spin. Some things are just not worth doing, even if they seem to work, for a little while.

Lying to your wife, for instance, is much like putting restore in your motor.......Both may work for a little while, but long term, you are a loser.

Put it in your engine and it turns the bearings black.Rebuilt an engine that had just one can put in and the rods/mains were solid black.

I put it in a old Cadillac that blew a puff of blue smoke every time I started it and used a little oil. It cured it and it ran better and quit smoking. If you have a beater its Great for that. Would I put it in my car for better performance-No, I would put it in a car, I was planning on running to death and was already half dead- YES.

Last edited:
A friend of a friend used it on a tired 327 in a '68 Caprice. It brought up and evened out the compression improving performance noticeably. He used it until he pulled it out for a rebuild and said you could see where it had filled in scratches in the bearings and cylinder walls.

I used it in a tired Kohler 10HP in my '70 John Deere 112. Even in a splash lubed engine like that it made a difference. It is still waiting around for me to rebuild it.

Andrew S.

Originally Posted By: camperbob

My question is, does the stuff last?

It lasts a little after the oil and product are drained out. In other words it was intended to be used at each OCI but there is some residual effects shortly after you change the oil, if you don't add the product back. In some cases the product does work as advertised, however that is not my endorsement for it. It is good in a beater that you have no intentions of fixing, and just want to reduce consumption and get it to run a little better until you get rid of it. In some cases it does work better in an oil burning beater than just adding "thicker" oil.

I've heard its hard on engine internals but I havent touched it. I would suggest Motor Oil Saver as its ester and has polar attraction to metals. Maybe that with a couple capfuls of mos2 might do you better. Using a high mileage oil like V Maxlife would be a great start too.

Your rings will get deposits that will need removal with a hammer. It flakes off plugging the oil filter and the oil filter traps most of it until by ads opens and let's it,and other deposits sloshing around.
I used it in my first car. Wasn't long before it was dead

Never use that stuff in an engine you want to keep.

Mos2/ceratec work much better without clogging oil passages which this stuff does eventually.
When I tore down that 305 I used restore in the oil drains were reduced to pinholes and required reaming with an air tool

Garbage

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Its easier just to use thicker oil. Same idea all it does it make the oil thicker.

No. It's a bit different than that.

I analyzed Restore on our ICP at work. It does in fact contain Silver, Lead, and Copper that are colloidal metal particles. Not much silver, but some. Mostly lead and copper.

The point of this colloidal "soft" metal is that it's supposed to "smear" into the voids in the cylinder walls and possibly rings to help give a better combustion seal.

I noticed that it worked in my old K1500 as well. But it's only temporary. I also think it has a tendency to "flake" off and get trapped in the oil filter.....

thumbsup2.gif
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back