ND oil boom. Is it still so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering oil prices have dropped, are the communities still in terrible shape? I recall visiting Williston ND back in the 80's as a kid. Boring little place back then. After seeing the documentary "The Overnighters" last night, got me wondering if it's still so bad.

Just north of the border things are pretty similar in Saskatchewan. Prices for everything have gone crazy and prairie quality of life has gone down the toilet.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=5768171

Question. If someone else owns the mineral rights but the land is yours can you not charge them for entry to the property and rent for any construction on the property? For instance an entry fee per person per day and/or each vehicle upon each entry?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Question. If someone else owns the mineral rights but the land is yours can you not charge them for entry to the property and rent for any construction on the property? For instance an entry fee per person per day and/or each vehicle upon each entry?

The answer might be no to all that. In fact in some places you can be evicted from your property if oil is discovered. It depends on the wording on your deed that addresses these issues.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

The answer might be no to all that. In fact in some places you can be evicted from your property if oil is discovered. It depends on the wording on your deed that addresses these issues.

And then they may move to Beverly Hills, including the whole kit and kaboodle.

I was in Williston about a month ago. Last time was about 2.5 years ago. It's still a very busy town. A lot of new hotels, apt complexes and restaurants since the last time I was there. Most of the town looks like one big industrial park. With the lower oil prices I know drilling activity has slowed and will probably to continue to slow some. Even with less drilling, there still seems to be a lot of work going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back