Bleeding cooling system on classic car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave radiator cap off,run engine,watch fluid level,add coolant as level drops drops,when thermostat opens and level tries to overflow,close radiator cap.Of course leave heater valve open to HOT beforehand.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Leave radiator cap off,run engine,watch fluid level,add coolant as level drops drops,when thermostat opens and level tries to overflow,close radiator cap.Of course leave heater valve open to HOT beforehand.

This is pretty much how I have done it for years. After driving a few days and cool downs, I would remove cap and check coolant levels.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
1971 Buick Skylark 350 V8, classic car?
Why not ??? 1971 is when I graduated high school so it seems classic to me.

Last edited:
Some cars have a bleeder screw in the cooling system. It sometimes resembles a brake fluid bleeder screw.

I don't know about your car.

This above is how most of us old folks bled/filled the cooling systems in classic cars... Drive it for a few days after and keep checking the coolant level after the car has cooled off. If it needs coolant then add, if its full then you are done...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

This above is how most of us old folks bled/filled the cooling systems in classic cars... Drive it for a few days after and keep checking the coolant level after the car has cooled off. If it needs coolant then add, if its full then you are done...

Isnt this how newer cars can be done too?

I use plain jane green conventional coolant. Zerex makes an original green formula coolant and I think you can still get conventional green at NAPA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I'm using Rotella Ultra ELC.

In the '68?
smile.gif

I currently have Texaco/Havoline Red ELC Coolant in the '80 Firebird FORMULA. It's ready for another change as the last time I flushed/filled was in 2008. I have always use conventional GREEN 'cept this last time when I used the Diesel Coolant which is supposed to be good for 8 years/750,000 miles in a diesel rig.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back