Absolutely amazing Bluetooth speaker review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, while I'm off work with the flu today I figured I'd post up a quick review of one of my recent purchases. I purchased a Harman Kardon Onyx Studio Bluetooth speaker. Holy [censored]. By far one of the highest quality speakers I have heard in a while, and the 6 hour portable battery is great. So far it has handled every type of music perfectly, and having a small built in sub within it adds the perfect amount of bass. Speaking of getting loud, this thing will absolutely blow you away in terms of volume. I can turn it on in my living room at full volume and walk across the street with all doors and windows closed and still hear it. Sound quality is what I've come to expect from HK, if not a little better. It picks up sounds throughout songs that I've never been able to hear through lower quality speakers like its no problem. I'll post up the link below to where I purchased. If you're in the market for any type of home speaker, I highly recommend this little guy. Any questions just ask me. I know the price point is a little higher, but it is totally worth it! Harman Kardon Onyx Studio - Best Buy

Last edited:
Glad you like it, but that is a lot of money to pay for a speaker, and all you get is two 3" woofers with some passive radiators???

Personally, for $400, I think I'd rather get a pair of self powered Mackie monitors with proper 8" drivers that deliver down to 38Hz (-3db) and have 85 Watt amps in them. Alas, they're a bit big.
smile.gif

At a little lower price ($160) the Klipsch KMC1 rocks it as well and plays forever on a charge

I just purchased a Bose Bluetooth "Mint" speaker and it is truly amazing how good the quality is over such a small unit. Guess the times really have changed on portable speakers...

Return it immediately unless you have some money to waste. This speaker is on the Best Buy "deal of the day" list about every three months for about half price. Just go to their website and sign up to be mailed their deal of the day. But I've heard great things about the speaker and have thought of getting one myself.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Return it immediately unless you have some money to waste. This speaker is on the Best Buy "deal of the day" list about every three months for about half price. Just go to their website and sign up to be mailed their deal of the day. But I've heard great things about the speaker and have thought of getting one myself.

Lets just say I know about the deal of the day, and I got it for (cough) under half. But if it comes around again on the deal of the day you should defiantly pick one up!

All my speakers are vintage, mostly Klispch (Forte, KG's), except one par is newer (RF-7 II). I run a couple 2A3 tube amps.
Them my mini system has tiny Audioengine P4's in bamboo finish off a cheap APPJ SET tube amp with Psvane Treasure mkII tubes.
I've never had/tried bluetooth speakers. I like the idea but need room, but will hang onto my Klipsch.
I gave away pairs of speakers within the last year (Polks, Boston's, Magnaplaner's etc.) just to clean out some space. Also gave out over a dozen vintage receivers (Kenwood, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer) and loads of separates (Kenwood, Carver etc.).

I wouldn't mind trying bluetooth speakers in the bedroom as the wife doesn't care for the connects running around the room - but then if i starting the buying she might roll the eyeballs thinking here we go again. Now bluetooth headphones I might consider although I like the corded ones I have (Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Sony). Would be nice to cut the cord for living room use so she can watch her TV while have a pair of cans on.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
This is a case of having more dollars than "cents".

Perhaps.

I will say though that either having a party cooking out or just simply after a bad day sitting on the porch or patio jamming out with whats basically a brick that sounds as good as some home stereo setups is quite impressive.

Last edited:
Even at $400 price point I think it is throw away tech. These sound great from $50-$500+ range with certain models. Longevity is not built in Made in China.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Even at $400 price point I think it is throw away tech. These sound great from $50-$500+ range with certain models. Longevity is not built in Made in China.

confused2.gif
What are you on about?

I have a JBL Charge that I travel with, set by the grill when I'm cooking, stuff like that. Fantastic device, about the size of a tall can of beer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Glad you like it, but that is a lot of money to pay for a speaker, and all you get is two 3" woofers with some passive radiators???

Personally, for $400, I think I'd rather get a pair of self powered Mackie monitors with proper 8" drivers that deliver down to 38Hz (-3db) and have 85 Watt amps in them. Alas, they're a bit big.
smile.gif

That's not "all you get"! It's actually a GREAT system. It sounds fantastic in any room of the house. It's the only all in one blue tooth speaker I have seen that can fill any room with full, warm, crisp and clear sound.

"Prying the speaker screen from the front face reveals an attractive configuration of drivers, including dual 3-inch midrange drivers, dual ¾-inch tweeters – each powered by its own 15-watt channel of digital amplification – and at the top center, a second passive radiator. Harman Kardon claims a frequency response of 60Hz-20kHz, a claim which held up well in our testing, thanks in part to the Onyx Studio’s dual passive-radiator design"

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/wireless-sp.../#ixzz3a3EJsxfb
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

6ZG4jHU.jpg

BZvPQKq.jpg

For the sale price (I got one for 150 around the holidays) it really can't be beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back