Little worried about the control arms I bought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my new control arms in for the F150 yesterday, they are Dorman branded and I got them for about $35 each on Amazon. After doing some reading, however, I'm not sure about the reliability of the brand. What have everyone's experiences been? Are there any safety concerns I should be aware of? Thanks!

Guessing this is the upper control arm since I don't see a Dorman for the lower unit?

I don't see a lot of visual difference between the upper control arm from the more expensive one compared to the Dorman. If this was the lower one I'd probably want a higher quality piece but the upper Dorman should be acceptable.

May I ask why your replacing it? Bushings gone on the oem ones?

Why didn't get the Moog Problem Solvers? That's what I got and they're excellent. What really takes the cake is their stabilizer bar end link kits will the silicone bushings; they're awesome.

When it comes to a complete control arm assembly -- I'd rather buy and install the $70 Moog Problem Solver once, versus purchasing the $35 Dorman and wonder/worry about when it's going to fail.

I had a chinese control arm on my driver's front. Though it inspected "good", there was something like a bushing deflection that would cause that tire to toe in during a moderate right turn and lead to oversteer.

Pulled it, looked perfect, replaced it, problem gone.

But, I have lots of anecdotes of price-leader parts holding together, too. Since you already have them, put them on, absolutely.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why didn't get the Moog Problem Solvers? That's what I got and they're excellent. What really takes the cake is their stabilizer bar end link kits will the silicone bushings; they're awesome.

Their stabilizer bar links for the '04 (not heritage) are worthless. Liftime replacement about every 8,000 miles. What a PITA.

OEM From the dealer is always best and usually the most expensive... Although we don't do much front end work at the engine shop i always like MOOG.

Just looked up control arms/ball joints for my chevy at Rockauto.
Dorman is $74, Moog is $78, Mevotech is $88 and AC/Delco $109.
I doubt there is much difference. Perhaps Delco is a little better.

Question? Why are people replacing control arms so often? Is this a northern rust thing?

Ive never replaced a control arm, never seen it done, and never heard of them being replaced for some reason until now.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Question? Why are people replacing control arms so often? Is this a northern rust thing?

Ive never replaced a control arm, never seen it done, and never heard of them being replaced for some reason until now.

Many new cars are built such that you cannot replace just the ball joint. It's part of the arm. Replacing the arm gives you the ball joint and the pivot bushings.

Dorman is perfectly fine if you are selling the vehicle. Otherwise what others have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back