Hths question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car manual specs for 5w-40 or 0w-40 oil and from what I've red on forums it requires an hths of 3.5-4.0. Would it be a problem to run a 5w-30 with an hths of 3.4 or more? The manufacturer of this oil states it's 3.4 or a little higher. Just want to know if it would be a problem? As the book says I can run 5w-30 without specific specs.

HTHS of 3.4 is plenty. You'd be fine in that application with anything 3.0 or higher in my opinion. It probably is safer to go with 3.4 to 3.8 though, for thicker oil films.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
My car manual specs for 5w-40 or 0w-40 oil and from what I've red on forums it requires an hths of 3.5-4.0. Would it be a problem to run a 5w-30 with an hths of 3.4 or more? The manufacturer of this oil states it's 3.4 or a little higher. Just want to know if it would be a problem? As the book says I can run 5w-30 without specific specs.

If you already have this oil then it's probably okay to use, as long as you don't track your car or WOT to redline all the time. Otherwise, why not just buy 2 M1 0W40 jugs at Walmart for $23.xx/jug and get $24 rebate from Mobil ? The final cost is about $24 and you have few quarts left for top off.

It'd probably be fine, but you're really overthinking this now. Analysis paralysis.

Why bother when you have two perfectly good oils that are inexpensive and readily available and are perfect for your application? M1 0w-40 and Castrol Edge 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It'd probably be fine, but you're really overthinking this now. Analysis paralysis.

Why bother when you have two perfectly good oils that are inexpensive and readily available and are perfect for your application? M1 0w-40 and Castrol Edge 0w-40.
This. Your car is spec'd for 40-weight oils. Don't overthink it.

I suspect that you have 02 Audi S4. Use M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 and close this chapter.

And you want to use the wrong oil because...........? When exactly the correct spec oil is available for the same or nearly the same cost? And the correct oil is available in lots of places? Is there a virus that's spreading around here?

If you have a Twin turbo German car you don't just use what you have laying around. Use M1 0w40, Castrol 0w40 or another oil that meets the VW spec you need.

No one here wants to see you not be able to use your 5w30, but we aren't talking about a SBC here, your car takes a very specific type of oil and you should run what it is spec'd for.

My car manual specs for 5w-40 or 0w-40 oil and from what I've red on forums it requires an hths of 3.5-4.0. Would it be a problem to run a 5w-30 with an hths of 3.4 or more? The manufacturer of this oil states it's 3.4 or a little higher.

If all you do is cruise down the highway at the speed limit, xW-30 will be fine.
On the other hand, if you canyon carving, or do aggressive back road driving, or high speed interstate stuff, them more stick with xW-40s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back