rustproofing/undercoating kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of buying a rustproofing/undercoating personal use kit. (just for my own stuff) . The type that is used with a spray gun/bottle/compressor etc. I may be buying a newer car and want to protect in/ and some other cars that I own. What have you guys used to fight/ prolong the life of your vehicles ? what about Fluid Film? I don't know anything about this stuff. Just asking.

Skip all that and make the trip to Krown in Michigan.

Depending on the age of the car it may either 1) not be worth it 2) newer cars are much better at warding off rust than older ones 3) just wash it a few times over the winter and a good underbody wash after the last of the snow has melted.

I am playing with Fluid Film. Should know in a couple of years--I mean, with two Toyotas in the rust belt, it should not take long.

I think it slows down rust, but I am starting to think it is no miracle cure. Slows down is not the same as stops.

Several threads on here about the various fluids (Krown, Fluid Film, Carwell, and others).

There appear to be 2 Krown locations in Ohio, 1 in Salem and 1 in Versailles (wherever they are). The company only recently began opening franchises in the states (it's a Canadian company)...I believe Michigan, Ohio and New York at this point (unless they've opened more that I'm not aware of). You can go on their site and plug in your zip code...up to 10 closest shops are displayed along with maps, websites, etc. I drive over 4 hours to their location in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to get my vehicles "Krowned" every year (Michigan locations are "down state"...Canada is closer for me). Depending on the vehicle, cost for an application ranges from $120-$160 per year. It absolutely works and is more than worth the price. You wouldn't believe the 80's and 90's vintage vehicles I've seen at their shop that are totally rust free...very impressive (they use a ton of salt on their roads just like we do). I say save your money and effort and check them out.

Wash your vehicle once a week, including winter, being sure to get the wheel wells and any undercarriage you can reach with the sprayer.

Park it indoors especially in winter or anytime the area you would park it has grass/weeds.

If you follow the above, it's not really a big problem here (Western Canadian prairie city).

Even though we have long cold winters with prolonged fall/spring freeze-thaw cycles, we don't use Road Salt in my city, they pony up a bit extra for Magnesium Chloride. Works to -60C, and far less corrosive. They also do a liquid spray before snowfall which will keep the roadway wet (instead of snow-covered or icy).

Salt cannot de-ice in temperatures below -17C (+1.4F).

Krown is OK but needs re-application periodically (every 2~3 years). Also interferes with painting; effectively preventing you from applying a rust-inhibiting paint when rust is noticed by inspection. Most popular on the lower mainland of British Columbia and Southern Ontario where road salt temperature range is experienced 90+ % of the time.

Last edited:
If I'm going to go through the bother of spraying the undercarriage/rust proofing of one of my vehicles again this time I will use Cor-Ban 35, or Cortec VpCI-368. Both are very good products, should last a lot longer than FF and protect better. They are a little pricey though.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
There appear to be 2 Krown locations in Ohio, 1 in Salem and 1 in Versailles (wherever they are). The company only recently began opening franchises in the states (it's a Canadian company)...I believe Michigan, Ohio and New York at this point (unless they've opened more that I'm not aware of). You can go on their site and plug in your zip code...up to 10 closest shops are displayed along with maps, websites, etc. I drive over 4 hours to their location in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to get my vehicles "Krowned" every year (Michigan locations are "down state"...Canada is closer for me). Depending on the vehicle, cost for an application ranges from $120-$160 per year. It absolutely works and is more than worth the price. You wouldn't believe the 80's and 90's vintage vehicles I've seen at their shop that are totally rust free...very impressive (they use a ton of salt on their roads just like we do). I say save your money and effort and check them out.

+1 from this Canadian. However, UP Michigan folks are virtually Canadian :eek:)

Yes, its the only thing that works. Im surprised this has taken so long to catch on in the US. Still a chance to get in on a good business.

I do my own with this stuff: [img:center][/img]

[URL=http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/Bluestrean/media/Monarch005.jpg.html]

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Wash your vehicle once a week, including winter, being sure to get the wheel wells and any undercarriage you can reach with the sprayer.

Park it indoors especially in winter or anytime the area you would park it has grass/weeds.

If you follow the above, it's not really a big problem here (Western Canadian prairie city).

Even though we have long cold winters with prolonged fall/spring freeze-thaw cycles, we don't use Road Salt in my city, they pony up a bit extra for Magnesium Chloride. Works to -60C, and far less corrosive. They also do a liquid spray before snowfall which will keep the roadway wet (instead of snow-covered or icy).

Salt cannot de-ice in temperatures below -17C (+1.4F).

Krown is OK but needs re-application periodically (every 2~3 years). Also interferes with painting; effectively preventing you from applying a rust-inhibiting paint when rust is noticed by inspection. Most popular on the lower mainland of British Columbia and Southern Ontario where road salt temperature range is experienced 90+ % of the time.

Washing your vehicle undercarridge once a week will actually cause it to rust. (water + steel) not to mention what a huge PITA

I go to one of the two Carwell shops and get my vehicles done annually. Just got my Forester done on Saturday. It will be under Carwell warranty. Will get the Jeep and pickup done over the next month or so.

Most cars will last 10 years without doing anything. So if you get rid of cars before 10 years, then forget about rust proofing.

Getting the undercarriage washed during the winter is a good idea especially if the place adds a chemical to the undercarriage wash that neutralizes the salt.

Do not park in a heated garage if you drive the car in the winter. If its a summer car and never got any salt in the first place then a heated garage is fine.

The best time for Krown/FF/Carwell is April/May so it can deal with any salt corrosion that has started.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Washing your vehicle undercarridge once a week will actually cause it to rust. (water + steel) not to mention what a huge PITA

Actually it's oxygen + steel in the presence of moisture (including humidity).

Water itself isn't corrosive (or corrodes very slowly) if allowed to dry quickly. But road salt/sand mix remains wet down to around 0F, essentially bathing the steel in a wet salt + oxygen environment that corrodes quickly.

You want to wash that off.

Back before digital cameras, standard service procedure (Nikon, Hassleblad, ect) for a mechanical film camera accidentally immersed in water was to remove battery if equipped, then put it in a sealable container of water and ship it to service.

Corrosion would begin after the wet camera was exposed to air; they want that to happen on the service desk where it can be dried and re-lubed. Film emulsion would swell but still processable.

A for being a PITA, well, it isn't. Adds a couple of minutes to your wash time.

Last edited:
There appear to be 2 Krown locations in Ohio.

I did not know this, the last I looked into getting Krown done the closest was in Michigan...and I live in Ohio. Thanks for posting that. You probably saved me a long drive in the future.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I'm going to be trying this in the near future.

Corrosion FREE

http://shop.corrosionfree.com/

Looks like a good product... Its basic oil sprayed product. Nothing fancy about corrosion protection; apply a film of oil and it will keep the salt and water from rusting your metal. Its that simple.

Originally Posted By: Throt
There appear to be 2 Krown locations in Ohio.

I did not know this, the last I looked into getting Krown done the closest was in Michigan...and I live in Ohio. Thanks for posting that. You probably saved me a long drive in the future.

How far to Syracuse NY?

Do you guys climb up under to spray inside frame rails, or the inside of open C rails? I see how dirt likes to sit inside the C rails, and had an Izusu rot a boxed frame once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back