2009 Highlander - water pump fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water pump failed on my Dad's '09 Highlander, as the post suggests.

However, the vehicle only had 18,500 miles on it when it did.

This brings up the question: Are there some parts that just need regular exercise on a car? It's things like this that makes me weary of older, low mileage cars if I was looking to buy used. Are there other more critical parts that might fail early in their mileage like this due to lack of use and short-tripping?

Any mechanics/those in the know have a take on this?

Toyota for some reason has been making Toyota-unlike water pumps. Early failure. Worst is on the RAV4 V6 where the "proper" fix is to pull the motor (I guess techs have found a workaround). I don't know what the failure rate is, but plenty of internet complaints.

Although I think the coolant is 5yr/100k. But I find it hard to believe that would take out the pump

I know someone who used to work until recently in Toyota warranty who says they go through water pumps like he changes his underwear. He also mentioned heel hub assemblies. Said the extended warranty is advisable for long-term ownership.

Just a very [censored], afterthought,design, looks a lot like early 70s v8, flat and long design. 16-20 bolts holding it on with a very tight sepantine belt to deal with. Bearings are too small to deal with all that stress. We got the same number of years out of our 08 Rav4 with the same engine.

Another blow against supposed Japanese indestructibility,superior design,and trouble free cost of ownership.I have never had a water pump in an American branded vehicle fail at less than 80K miles.Of course everybody is making everything flimsier nowadays.And the Japanese/Germans/Koreans are not immune from it....Another big recall today for the "Car of The Year" VW Golf/GTI too...Bosch (german brand)fuel pumps failing.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
BMW got it right with their electric water pumps.

Lol, I'm more scared of those than the toyota ones... But at least (almost) everyone knows that bmw can have weak cooling systems.

People buy toyota because of supposed reliability.

The water pump in my LS400 didn't fail until last year after 20 years 360k miles, the thermostat failed some years before at around 250-260k miles. The water pump in my E430 failed 2 years earlier at around 130k miles.

The 90's Lexus LS400 seems to have better quality and longer lasting parts.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Another blow against supposed Japanese indestructibility,superior design,and trouble free cost of ownership.I have never had a water pump in an American branded vehicle fail at less than 80K miles.Of course everybody is making everything flimsier nowadays.And the Japanese/Germans/Koreans are not immune from it....Another big recall today for the "Car of The Year" VW Golf/GTI too...Bosch (german brand)fuel pumps failing.

I have never had a water pump failure on American(2), Japanese(4) and German(1) cars over 25 years all driven 150k-220k before sold. Rare failure.

So rare that I don't bother replacing on my timing belt equipped cars while its open. Worked thus far.

I have never had a water pump failure either, all our 1zz-fe, 2az-fe have original waster pump with 130 to 360k miles on them, no idea why people are complaining about reliability for, maybe newer toyotas aren't as good?

what?
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Not every part is 100% against failure, even on the reliable Toyota's. Now, if this is a prone water pump failure on Highlanders and Toyota is aware of this then, shame on them!

With most vehicles that I have driven from the 60's - present, I may have had 1 or 2 premature water pump failure whether it's been a domestic of foreign make vehicle. And, it will happen now & again(with any car part). Nothing is 100%!

But most of the time, I have replaced water pumps as part of a maintenance(timing belt) or just plain age!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Not every part is 100% against failure, even on the reliable Toyota's.....

But most of the time, I have replaced water pumps as part of a maintenance(timing belt) or just plain age!

Curious....how often was the coolant changed on this 6-yr old car? With only 18k miles I might guess not once...and that could be a problem...sitting/uncirculating a lot during those years ...old coolant can degrade, with its seal LUBRICATING ability along with its cooling ability....

Change the coolant with the pump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Not every part is 100% against failure, even on the reliable Toyota's.....

Curious....how often was the coolant changed on this 6-yr old car? With only 18k miles I might guess not once...and that could be a problem...sitting/uncirculating a lot during those years ...old coolant can degrade, with its seal LUBRICATING ability along with its cooling ability....

Change the coolant with the pump.

It seems as though you're asking me when in fact, you need to direct your question of curiosity to the OP(thunderfog)!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

what?
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Even my old 530i has an electric pump. And an engine driven one. Why only have one when you can have two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back