Amosil SS 5w20, 4k miles, 2010 Ford Tuaurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Amsoil SS is rated for 25,000 miles, or 15,000 for severe service, but I wanted a UOA anyways due to all the short tripping over the winter. I was pleasantly surprised.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-30%20at%2011.42.27%20AM_zps2uqp286r.png

Code:
OIL Amsoil SS 5w20

MILES IN USE 4k

MILES 106K

SAMPLE TAKEN 4/21/15

MAKE UP OIL 0 quarts

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 4

COPPER 7

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 141

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 157

SILICON 15

SODIUM 11

CALCIUM 3339

MAGNESIUM 15

PHOSPHORUS 713

ZINC 778

BARIUM 0

TBN 5.8

INSOLUBLES 0.2

WATER 0

FUEL%
ANTIFREEZE% 0.0

FLASHPOINT ºF 390

SUS VIS 210ºF 51.9

cSt @ 100ºC 7.86

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
With all that CA that's a 1 year oil easy. Hope you left it in.
I wouldnt have wasted money on a UOA though.

Nah I didn't leave it in, should've though. The UOA wasn't really necessary but not only was I curious how it handled a ton of short tripping over the winter I also just bought the car in September and was curious as to how the engine was wearing. All in all, good news. Wasted some money but that's alright.

The only thing that surprised me was the TBN drop from 12.6 to 5.8 in only 4,000 miles. I'm technically a "severe service" user so that oil would technically be good for another 11,000 miles of service. Not so sure that TBN would hold up for another 11K.

Last edited:
Great low iron levels, you've hit the magical 1 ppm per thousand miles figure. It happens, but not that often, and usually only in the low-wearing Toyota or Honda engines.

Calcium detergents are high in SS Amsoils. This is just great oil. I'm close to converting to Amsoil, yet I still hang on to the thought that Castrol Edge EP or Mobil1 EP would do just as well for a lot less bucks and BP/XOM's army of scientists-engineers backing me. Thus haven't switched to Amsoil... yet.

It is great oil. I had to see for myself that I could beat the snot out of it over the winter and it still hold up. It's 100% affirmed the quality of Amsoil for me. I never really doubted it but I had to see it myself. Amsoil SS 0w20 will be going in the crankcase right before winter starts this year.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: Throt

The only thing that surprised me was the TBN drop from 12.6 to 5.8 in only 4,000 miles. I'm technically a "severe service" user so that oil would technically be good for another 11,000 miles of service. Not so sure that TBN would hold up for another 11K.

Scroll down to TBN

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

I stand corrected. Thanks!
wink.gif

Beginning with the next fill I will go one year OCI's. If I still have the Taurus then....this thing is a gas guzzler. Thinking about a Cruze or a Focus....

Thanks for posting...I got two things from your report.

First, Blackstone gave an update on the universal averages which are now 6,600 miles. That's up from 5,800 last summer.

I also see that your copper is way below the averages. While noting that your oci was only 2/3 of the universal average miles, I've wondered if copper would eventually come down once the engine accumulated more miles. On the other hand, maybe Amsoil's chemical makeup is the reason. Interesting to me, anyway.

You mentioned poor fuel mpg with your Taurus. I only saw 21-22 this past winter but already back up to 23.5 mpg on my last tank with deep, soft treaded winter tires. I just put new all season tires on and hope to get back to 25-26 mpg in rural, hilly driving.

Not too bad for a big, overweight car.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have no idea why the copper is so low but I'm not complaining. For over 100K miles this engine is spotless on the top end and I'm assuming the bottom end is just as healthy.

I don't think my MPG is actually bad. I think it just seems that way. But I love this car so I'll probably just bite the bullet on the MPG until it's paid off.

I know Amsoil SS is rated for 25,000 miles, or 15,000 for severe service, but I wanted a UOA anyways due to all the short tripping over the winter. I was pleasantly surprised.

SERVICE LIFE

Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under Severe Service.
Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first.

5.8 TBN after 4k... Sounds like it's going to go for 10k no problem, of course Blackstone cautiously advises only 6,000 miles but you can go further if you want to.

I'd say 10k miles on this fill and do one more UOA. You might just be surprised.
smile.gif
Thanks for posting. Good to confirm new to you vehicle doing alright!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

NOTE: Silicon at 15ppm in just 4k. Have you changed the air filter yet? Not extreme number or anything but could be better is all. Dusty area?

Not a dusty area. I have had the air intake box out a few times trying to get to the transmission dipstick. Probably from that. Probably could use a better filter too. I don't remember what I used.

Not a dusty area. I have had the air intake box out a few times trying to get to the transmission dipstick. Probably from that. Probably could use a better filter too. I don't remember what I used.

Meh, ignore my note honestly then. All seems to be good to go.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back