Eating better and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
watch soy products. They can elevate estrogen in some men.

So THAT'S what makes me want to go shopping with my wife...

+1 almond over soy.

I don't eat dairy and after a fair bit of study and practice, that's what I settled on as a substitute. Also, since no one else uses it, I have to throw out 1/2 of every 1/2 gallon of soy milk because it spoils much more quickly. To me, almond is healthier, tastier and cheaper in the long run.

Also, MD's don't learn ANYTHING about serious micronutrition (which is what we are talking about) in medical school. I didn't. However, there's a ridiculous amount of nonsense out there about "healthy" and the consumer is really flying blind much of the time. Used car dealers and nutrition gurus generally operate at about the same level of information quality. Ideally, find a doctor who is a health nut, but that's not easy. One site I do like for evaluating nutritional value is:

www.nutritiondata.com

You can get a ridulous amount of information graphically and in tables very fast, tailored to the amount/item you are using as an ingredient or eating.

Lastly, the advice above about "whole foods" is highly valuable. Start with something that was a "food" (e.g., a yam) vs. a "food product" (cheese, bread) when you start cooking something or considering an item in a restaurant/deli/etc. It takes a lot of practice and time, but eventually your food habits become as natural to you as the thoughtless ones most of us were brought up with.

Last edited:
Oh, dear..asking for nutritional advice on a motor oil forum?

1) Your MD should advice you based on actual science...the results of all your lab work and other work ups. Your mileage always varies.

2) Get yourself a good nutritionist.

3) Unless you drink gallons of soy..no exaggeration... it's the better choice over almond, and surely coconut. Overall nutritional content.

5) Quinoa? What's your goal?

6) THE biggest culprits in the typical diet are 'Processed foods': Things like white flour, anything 'bleached', simple sugars, hydrogenated fats, and the like.

I don't know nothing about oil..or birthin' babies, but I do have a PhD and know how to interpret data.

Quote:
1) Your MD should advice you based on actual science..
You mean the science funded by lobbyists, big pharma and big food? LOL.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Quote:
1) Your MD should advice you based on actual science..
You mean the science funded by lobbyists, big pharma

You mean the pharmacuticals that have doubled aberage life span in the last 150 years when people were eating "natural" foods back then??

I have no stock in pharma, and am the first to admit Docs have no clue about nutrition. But constant bashing of pharmas gets a touch..yaaaaawwwwwnnnn.

Just because big pharma does good things doesn't mean they get a pass on bad things. Too much of a good thing is bad.

I prefer almond milk for its taste and less estrogen stuff.

aldis or almond breeze are my favorite brands.

I've self experimented with just about every diet out there. What I have learned is:

1. Fad and extreme diets work but they ruin your life in other ways (eg you become a social outcast because you can't eat with friends) and are hard to maintain long term. This is true for both vegan and low carb.

2. Keep it simple. Rather than worry about calories and macros, just eat unprocessed foods and listen to your body. Eat when hungry don't eat when not hungry. You can trust your body when you are eating the foods that it was meant to eat rather than eating processed foods optimized to maximize palatability.

3. If you are eating unprocessed foods at least 80% of the time, breaking your diet at at social event ain't gonna kill you. Have fun and don't stress.

4. Don't focus on losing weight. Focus on building or maintaining lean mass. That means eating unprocessed foods and doing resistance exercise.
And lean mass isn't just muscle. Its organ tissue and bone mass -- its health. Also don't go on crazy calorie restriction diets that ruin your metabolism and just make you skinny fat anyways.

I do the above now and my biggest problem is keeping weight on not losing weight. And it is a [censored] of a lot more fun than counting calories or wondering if I've eaten to much carbs, protein or fat.

I lost a max of 27 pounds by cutting out bread, chips, FF's, donuts, pizza, pasta, fast-food hamburgers, sugar drinks, and no beer except on weekends. It took less than 6 months too.

That was the diet. On the other side, I began to ride my bicycle, at least four times a week. Where I live there are several steep hills, so I'd wear myself out going up them. Over and over again until I could make it to the top. Then I began on going on longer and longer rides. Two years later, I've gained some of it back (247), but still ride a lot, up the same hills, it's a great fat-burning workout and I'd never fear a medical stress-test as I do it several times a week.

Lately I have eaten an apple each day. I core it slice it in thirds. Spread Natural PB andcoat with raisins. Can't beat it. Very little saturated fat, plus 2 good fruits.

BTW I just get the store brand Natural PB with only 120 mg. So when all the dust settles you have 650 mg Potassium and 150 mg of Sodium. Which should actually reduce BP.

Also bu using Natural you have no Hydroginated fat. And if you stir the BP up thoroughly and immediatly put it in the fridge the oil does not reseparate.

Last edited:
Peanut butter works for some people, but not everyone. I don't have peanut allergies, but peanut butter has subtle negative effects on me.

RE: Almond vs Soy milk - as others wrote, I'd choose almond between those two. But I have found all these milk alternatives to have too many unwanted ingredients. Even if there is no sugar added, they still add gums. And these milk alternatives, made from nice oily nuts and seeds, somehow end up with so little fat. I want that fat please.

hotwheels has written some good advice above. I also agree with Vuflanovsky's perspective on doctors. IMO, most medical doctors operate in a small box constrained by their profit goals, liability, and specialization. This severely limits their usefulness as a steward of your health.

Our entire family started to eat healthier two years ago and what a difference it made.

What got use started was watching "Forks Over Knives" very interesting documentary.

We also read "The Engine 2 Diet" book and the second one that came out "My Beef With Meat" both have a ton of great recipes in them.

Got a Vitamix blender and do smoothies pretty much every morning as well.

Eat far less. Eat unprocessed...whole foods.

And generally don't make eating anything more than a necessary thing to do in order to sustain life.

Originally Posted By: jc1112
I prefer almond milk for its taste and less estrogen stuff.

aldis or almond breeze are my favorite brands.
The estrogen will put you in the media spotlight like Bruce Jenner !!! But the GMO soybeans and the GMO problems are bad but being round up resistant means the soy beans are loaded with round up. How does round up work ? Round up is absorbed into the plant and then it does its dirty work on the plant.

Update for anyone that may be reading this. Blood psi, this past weekend was down to 130/69, sat and 135/70 saturday morning when I donated platelets. I havent had a cup of coffee in like 4 months, been trying some tea that a co worker and friend of the g.f. told me about. That and watching my sodium intake, and taking 1hr or longer walks in the evening when not cutting filters and helping others.

Diastolic BP of 70 is very good IMO. Also keep in mind that blood pressure, like pulse rate, changes significantly all the time, due to our physical activities, posture, food and stimulant intake, etc. To put it in BITOG terms, the heart is like an engine connected to a CVT, and the driving demands are changing all the time.
wink.gif

Thanks for the info BearZDefect
smile.gif
Yeah, I dont eat much in the way of junk food, and really loving homemade juices and "smoothies" a lot that I found tons of recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back