Igntion Coil Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ignition coil with an out of range resistance reading on the high side. The vehicle is missing under load when climbing hills or when you try to accelerate quickly. No codes...

Would like to change this out before any other damage could occur to module if likely.

My choices today are as always Autozone and Oreillys.

I usually tend to go with Autozone duralast, they have duralast($30) as opposed to their value craft($30). Oreilly carries the Master Pro($35) and BWD($42) available in store today or I can order either the BWD Select($39) or the AC Delco($69) which are usually an overnight wait to get to my store.

What say you?

on edit; my horse is a 1997 oldsmobile 88 with a couple hundred miles over 321,000! The coil packs are all factory original as well as the module.

Last edited:
ben, i usually get parts in store or have them order overnight on parts if i go with one they don't have in store,

thanks cardenio, i have bought a few denso O2 sensors before.

The last coil I bought for my 1999 S-10 was a BWD bought at O'Reiley's and after over a year it is functioning great.

I would bring my meter into Autozone and O'reilly to check if the coils have the same specs as your stock coils. I would also look at the country of origin of the coils when making a final decision.

I bought a BWD coil and a brand called Import Direct at O'reilly; both were made in Japan and the castings looked identical to each other with the exact resistance measurements to my good factory coil. I would bet both coils from the two different brands came out of the same factory. I mixed brands because O'reilly did not have a pair of either of the brands in stock. The coils are still on my vehicle today working fine. It's been about a year and not a misfire to be seen.

I have actually had nothing but good experience in with AutoZone duralast parts including TPS and IAC. I would go with the cheapest part with the best warranty, though.

Honestly the store brands are usually made at the same factory as the BWD/Wells/etc... ones. That is not to say they are some high end ones just the "name" brand ones are made just as cheaply as others now.

I've had denso, ACdelco, etc... fail on me while the generics went on and on. So its more hit or miss IMO. Unless its a really hard to get to one I go by price for the most part.

How do you check resistance of an ignition coil ? Where do you probe ? I need to learn to verify if the coil or the plug wire of my E430 is failing.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
I have an ignition coil with an out of range resistance reading on the high side. The vehicle is missing under load when climbing hills or when you try to accelerate quickly. No codes...

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I would bring my meter into Autozone and O'reilly to check if the coils have the same specs as your stock coils. I would also look at the country of origin of the coils when making a final decision.

I bought a BWD coil and a brand called Import Direct at O'reilly; both were made in Japan and the castings looked identical to each other with the exact resistance measurements to my good factory coil.

Last edited:
Some cars are more picky than others about which electrical components they prefer. Nissans, for example, will run like garbage on anything but OEM coils. Like others said, try finding the cheapest coils that meet your vehicle's specs and see where that takes you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back