Salt stains in car carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any special tricks to remove salt stains/crusts from the main floor/tub carpet?
Never fun removing this stuff must be an easier way.

I personally use straight white vinegar, then use a strong cleaner like Armor All Multi Purpose cleaner.

Rinse with a lot of hot water and vacuum up with a wet dry shop vac so the vinegar smell is gone.

Don't be shy on the rinsing, it pulls up grit at the same time.

If you don't rinse enough when it is drying it will smell like vinegar.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Any special tricks to remove salt stains/crusts from the main floor/tub carpet?
Never fun removing this stuff must be an easier way.

pour on boiling water and extract with a wet/dry shop vac

I have custom carpets with a leak proof rubber backing. I remove them and hose them down, they dry overnight and are ready to put back in.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
This.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive...content=Default

while i have no experience with that exact product, anything i have tried, that was labeld as a salt remover for shoes, etc, ended up smelling like vinegar, so i would say to save the $$ and use a combo of piping Hot H20, with a quantity of white vinegar in it. i'm not giving specific ratios, as i don't have them. but that combo, with a good wet vac, and a little elbow grease should do the trick.

My searches last year pointed to a 50/50 mix of vinegar and warm water as the most suggested solution. Then blot with a towel and hit it with a shop vac or a spot bot to get out as much as possible.

I haven't tried the mix yet, as I just cannot find the time to remove the front seats and do it.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
No magic, just lots of warm water and a wet vac. You don't need to scrub much, just enough for the water to get to the salt.

Same for me, never used a cleaner just water.

I just washed up.
Used most methods suggested. Already had a bottle of commercial salt remover spray did a so-so job as usual. Lots of stiff brushing and not much salt removal.
Asked you guys and "Voila". You know the suggestions of lots of hot water did the most dissolving. I added a Tiny bit of Palmolive dish soap. Sucked it up with the Shop Vac.
Thanks Guys.

Last edited:
Why use vinegar? Salt is pH neutral and needs neither an acid nor alkaline neutralizer. It is also completely soluble in water.

Kestas, the salt dissolves easily with hot water.

What makes the "tough crust" is calcium and other minerals that are dissolved better with vinegar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back