PUP 5W30; 2819mi; 2014 Lancer EvoX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's my oil change result from my 14 EVOX GSR. Its stock besides a catback exhaust. I daily drive with city & HWY mix. No track or autoX events were on this sample since it was winter.... just spirited driving a couple of times a week. This oil went through tons of idle warm up time since the car hates operating right after ENG start. I'm keeping warranty so OCI of 3k & 5w30 are required. This is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 from the dark gray/black label bottle.

Blackstone Comment:
You said the oil seemed thin, and the viscosity was just barely low for Pennzoil Ultra 5W/30. Not by much, though, and certainly not enough to be a problem. The current viscosity reading is actually a little better than the previous test we did for your other Evo X, and it's really only a shade out of line with our "should be" values. We wouldn't worry about it. We
expected copper (from wear-in of brass/bronze parts) to drop this time, but it held steady at 9 ppm. Maybe it'll improve in the next report. The TBN is good at 4.9, so try 4,000 miles next. Nice!

Thoughts? Feedback?

Code:

OIL PUP 5w30

MILES IN USE 2819k

MILES 6017k

SAMPLE TAKEN 04/13/15

ALUMINUM 8

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 13

COPPER 9

LEAD 2

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 49

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 2

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 78

SILICON 14

SODIUM 4

CALCIUM 2340

MAGNESIUM 22

PHOSPHORUS 718

ZINC 777

BARIUM 2

INSOLUBLES 0.1

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 390

SUS VIS 210ºF 54.5

cSt @ 212ºF 8.62

Fuel %
AntiFRZ % 0

TBN 4.9

Until normal break-in is over, you're going to get skewed results which may be what's going on with the Aluminum and Copper. Other than that, nice report and thanks for sharing.

Great car! I miss my VIII and to a lesser extent, my Ralliart Turbo.
thumbsup2.gif

Why not just use conventional PYB if you change your oil every 3K miles...or less? I don't see any need/logic for synthetic/synthetic blend for such low mileage OCI's.

Using synthetics for short oil change intervals does make sense. Its not that much more money.
Group II conventionals or mixed Grp II-III, have extra unwanted waxes in them. Deposit formation with high temperatures are a greater problem with conventional oil vs. synthetics.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Until normal break-in is over, you're going to get skewed results which may be what's going on with the Aluminum and Copper. Other than that, nice report and thanks for sharing.

Great car! I miss my VIII and to a lesser extent, my Ralliart Turbo.
thumbsup2.gif

No problem & thanks. I just hope that the wear trends down to there not being an issue.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Why not just use conventional PYB if you change your oil every 3K miles...or less? I don't see any need/logic for synthetic/synthetic blend for such low mileage OCI's.

I definitively want to use full syn. in this turbo vehicle plus its "recommended" to use full syn. anyways per the manual. The higher cost is worth it to me for protection.

Mitsu. actually factor fills these cars with conventional now (since 2012) when in 2008 the car was released with Mobil 1 full syn.

If you want a 5W30 that stays in grade, try Mobil1 ESP or Motul X-clean. Those oils, and Euro oils in general, are gaining popularity among WRX owners because they are thicker and have a higher HTHS than Resource Conserving GF5 oils. And they generally stay in grade even with the high fuel dilution in the new WRX DIT engine.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
If you want a 5W30 that stays in grade, try Mobil1 ESP or Motul X-clean. Those oils, and Euro oils in general, are gaining popularity among WRX owners because they are thicker and have a higher HTHS than Resource Conserving GF5 oils. And they generally stay in grade even with the high fuel dilution in the new WRX DIT engine.

-Dennis

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back