Philadelphia snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,
I know some of you live in the NE. I will be moving to Philadelphia with my 2002 Camaro manual V6 in Aug 2005 to start school at the Pennsylvania College of Optometry. I'm a bit worried coming from FL about snow and my car...

I've got a few things going for me however. I grew up in Atlanta and have driven in a 2WD truck in slushy icy snowy conditions. My current Camaro is a 2002, its a manual, its in great shape, and it has positraction. I intend to put some BFGoodrich Traction T/As on it as all-season tires before I move, since my Yokohama ES100 summer-only tires are not going to cut snow at all.

Does Philly get enough snow to warrant a beater, or should I be ok? Just curious, as school is year round. Thanks everyone
smile.gif
patriot.gif

Well, ...let me put it this way. Typically we only have about 3 days of snowfall ..maybe 4. The REAL twitch to it is the freeze/thaw situations since we hover just close enough to 32F mark that it tends to wreak havoc in the "black ice" dept where a nice sunny day melts snow and washes off the residual salt in localized patches. The other liability is that only having this level of snowfall ...most of the drivers don't have a clue how to handle it. Lots of fender benders on the major arteries ..every time.

This area gets an occasional blizzard from the south ..which appears to track the amount of hurricane activity that we had during the summer ..well at least the moisture content does ..the blizzard part of it is if it doesn't show up as rain.

If you don't mind staying in for about 3-4 days during the winter ..you can avoid 90% of the risk to your Camaro. If you know how to maintain a safe following distance, even in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic (idiots still insist on being bumper to bumper ..just slower in the snow) without anxiety ..then you'll be fine. I believe you're in Elkins Park...a somewhat semi-urbanized suburb (dense population and somewhat upscale). I would think the bigger risk to you, assuming you can adjust to the conditions ..will be the normal parking lot damage.

No body buys snow tires around here simply due to the waste of money. Unfortunately due to the large number of SUV ownership, it tends to give many, with very little experience, false confidence.

Yo Dominic,
Just being in Hostile City warrants a beater... Just kiddin'.... I lived there for twelve years (just left last winter) and between traffic, stupid high insurance rates, cost of gas in the Philly area, traffic, the other knuckleheads on the road, insurance, I would caution against anything nice if you are living in the city. As far as snow, it isnt too bad overall. BUT, when it does snow over, say three inches, it can be a real pain in the a**. If you are in the city limits, most of the major streets and roads are cleared. Non-major streets are ignored. We lived on a bus line in the Fairmount section and the street was pretty good. Go one street over and there was ice until April... During heavy snow the streets just plain sucked.
Even in the suburbs, I would want some kind of private off street parking. My wife and I owned cars (89 Nissan/91 VW)that were cosmetically OK, but mechanically top notch. We were just not willing to pay for something nice only to have it ruined. Your bumpers will get scratched and dented from acoustic parking, you mirrors may disappear or break, your car may be broken into, stolen, vomited on , urinated on. Garages are the best bet, but prepare to pay alot for that privilege. I only garaged my motorcycle(97 BMW), and paid fifty bucks a month, 'cause I knew someone who knew someone, but those deals are few and far between. If you live outside the city you may have better luck and more options. Now, dont get me wrong, I love Philly, it's a great place to live. It is also a great place to live without wheels. If you live in town you can get around with public transportation, bike, on foot, taxi, whatever. The regional rail system is pretty good in the surrounding areas as well. Again, insurance was pretty durn high. If the vehicle stays registered in Fla. you can save some money, but you are technically breaking the law. Some areas of Philly require you to register the car in Philly ,to get a parking permit to park on the street for more than two hours. So, to sum up, snow isnt the biggest problem, keeping the car nice is. Oh, if you live in the city and work in the city get used to city wage tax...
Late 'Cuz

Bottom line-there is risk in the winter-especially in the mornings with slick roads. The first slick snow brings high numbers of fender benders. It gets better as the season goes on. Misfits are eliminated and new drivers and the inept that don't crash start getting the idea. Then the next season the cycle is repeated.

And no disrespect-if Atlanta is the limit of your experience....you are mighty low on the experience level. I was in Atlanta about 10 years ago when a 3" snow hit-where there was a bit of slush. The natives were paralized and really driving conditions were excellent.

Just stay off the roads when it snows. You should probably find an apartment near your school or at least on a bus line, for "plan B." Positraction can be a minus in snow once you're rolling, the rear end will lose traction on BOTH wheels and go sideways even easier.

quote:

Misfits are eliminated and new drivers and the inept that don't crash start getting the idea. Then the next season the cycle is repeated.

Al, ever had the fun of the "concrete jungle" in Harrisburg during freezing rain? It's such a joy in morning traffic. I never saw so many bridges concentrated in one area. You get a bit more snow than we do. There seems to be some geological/geographical barrier to getting anything from the north or north west for us. You don't appear to have this advantage (or problem if your a jeep owner). Hershey and your neck of the woods had plenty of those snow drifts blowing over Rt.322 between the Lebanon interchange of the Turnpike and Hershey Med. Center.

Still not TOO bad on most years.....
smile.gif

Just as an observation, the previous posts really tells me that Philadelphia sucks. Sounds like a crime ridden, vandal-rampant sewer.
Is it really that much of a pit? What about some of the tourist areas? Phily has a good amount of early American history, but it sounds like a bad place to take the family for a visit.

For a 5 year period (about15 years ago) I did quite a bit of driving in and around Phili while working as a field tech. I was there all year long and in all conditions and based on that experience I would say if you really want to keep that Camaro in good shape (even keep it period), absolutely get a beater and leave it home.

IMO, Jeffr00 pretty much nailed it.

I really appreciate all the help guys. I will look into affording a beater - it was my first plan. I will be able to take out gargantuan student loans, and it might be worth having a beater for 4 years to keep my car in nice shape.

Thanks everyone - really thanks.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

As in any city, parking is tough. Get a beater and parking is double tough. Snow?? hike it, bike it, take the bus or stay home and drink beer, watch all the idiots slip, slide and visit the ER's on the TV. It's only school, won't hurt to miss a day or so.

WDP

Hey,
The scum and the stink are part of the charm... I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Philly really is a great place to live. I lived a few different places and explored most all of the area. It has it atrocities and inequities like any other place in the world. He*l, i just finally got rid of my garage there this summer. We usually go down once a month, and when I drive I take the 89 Pathfinder, not the 2000 Frontier.... My wife has a 91 Jetta diesel and it was great in the city. I would get an older Honda/Nissan/Toyota and throw the cheapest set of Walmart snows on it if it was an issue. Just be careful to make it a POA to steal, get some kind of removeable radio and never leave anything visible in it(keep the junk inna' trunk), oh, yeah, and have fun. 'Cuz

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Al, ever had the fun of the "concrete jungle" in Harrisburg during freezing rain? It's such a joy in morning traffic. I never saw so many bridges concentrated in one area. You get a bit more snow than we do.

I really try to avoid that area 1. at night 2. in the rain 3. in the snow
grin.gif
grin.gif

We get a bit more snow than you and Harrisburg gets more than Hershey and Elizabethtown.

Have you been to Hershey Medical Center?? That place is growing like a weed. We have used that place for 35 years
smile.gif
Decent Med Center.

quote:

Have you been to Hershey Medical Center??

I drove there every night for 5 years from 77-81 inclusively. I delivered their nuclear medicine ...as I did Harrisburg Polyclinic, Harrisburg Hosp, and Harrisburg Osteopathic ..and any other hosptial you can think of. I watched the Turkey Hill and the development across the street go up virtually overnight. At that time, I believe, much of the open farm like turf that was on Rt 322 toward your area was owned by the Hershey Foundation ..which operated the Hershey School. A friend of mine's parents were "house parents" for the Hershey School during this time. I was truly surpised to actually see so much open turf within such commuting distance of Harrisburg.

quote:

Originally posted by andrews:
Just as an observation, the previous posts really tells me that Philadelphia sucks. Sounds like a crime ridden, vandal-rampant sewer.
Is it really that much of a pit? What about some of the tourist areas? Phily has a good amount of early American history, but it sounds like a bad place to take the family for a visit.

I love Philadelphia. I have been to many other US cities and there is no other place I like as much. Sure, there are some bad neighborhoods you want to avoid but overall it's a nice place with a special feel to it. There many interesting tourist attractions in the city and the suburbs. I think it's a great place to visit and live in.

As far as winter driving goes, in Philly you are better off avoiding it, if possible. Almost no one has winter tires and there a lot of SUVs and pickups who behave like swine. Like others have said, we often get a lot of ice because it is not cold enough for snow to stay on the ground. Also, while major roads get cleared pretty well, most side streets remain untouched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back