Will this transmission survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 Honda Civic transmission cooler line blew off while my grandma was driving. She noticed the car quit moving like it was shifted into neutral. She revved it and it moved again. Not with her. She drove 300-400 feet to a gas station. Total run time of about 2 minutes no fluid. I changed fluid and seems to be fine. Do you think it will survive?

Ouch! I would imagine some wear happened during the time with low/no fluid. If its running well now all you can do is keep driving it. Do another drain and fill or two or three to remove any excess clutch and other wear material.

By the time she got back, 5 out of 6 quarts total, not drain and fill capacity leaked out.

It slipped badly for the first couple miles when it had fluid in it. Probably air.

Same happened to me when i was driving my old Mitsubishi Diamante.
Got a new (but used) trans put in and they didn't put the cooler lines on properly and one popped off spewing the trans fuid everywhere, hitting the exhaust and making a smoke screen.
I didn't notice until I saw the smoke and by this time all the fluid was gone so maybe 5 mins high speed driving with no fluid. It still drove but once i stopped and put it in neutral it wouldn't engage when i put it back in drive.
I left it on the road and came back the next day and did the hoses up and filled it back up. It worked flawless until the engine went 30k later!
I wouldn't worry about it
smile.gif

the biggest issue would be that the trans oil pump was spinning dry for enough time to possibly damage the pump or pressure regulator valve. I'd drop the pan & look for any shrapnel. If so, clean it out & replace the filter also

Originally Posted By: mehullica
the biggest issue would be that the trans oil pump was spinning dry for enough time to possibly damage the pump or pressure regulator valve. I'd drop the pan & look for any shrapnel. If so, clean it out & replace the filter also

No pan on these transmissions.

Just drive it. It'll be fine.

I had the same thing happen twice, but with old, beefy iron (Buick 2-speed Super Turbine 300 and Chrysler TorqueFlite 727). Both survived the ordeal just fine. As long as your Honda is shifting fine now, I bet it will be OK.

Andrew S.

I bought a saturn 5-speed (which has a gear structure similar to its TAAT auto box, and your civics!) that had been run completely dry for months, out of ignorance. It never seized and the gears weren't loud. I'd say the hard parts, for sure, are still in fine shape.

If the torque converter drained and didn't allow much torque to be pushed through the gears, so much the better.

I had a car do that. My wife hit a semi tire on the highway which knocked the transmission coolant lines off. She then coached it to a gas station at like 5 mpg while reving the engine. The transmission was never the same again. 2nd and 3rd gear slipped, but it was still driveable.

If you put fluid in and it seems to shift fine, than it probably wasn't damaged too bad and will be fine. If it slips any, than that's your answer.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Yet another reason to dump that hateful slush box and get a manual.

I once thought the same when I lived the the UK... Wasn't until I moved to a big country that required travelling vast distances for hours at a time when I realised the need for a big car with a big engine mated to an auto!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back