When did auto batteries become so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What size battery? Have you looked at Costco? They sell Intestate (Johnson Controls) batteries. Our Fusion recently needed one, and even though it takes an oddball size, I got one for well under $100.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Use the AAP 40% off discount code online.

That's what I just did and got the Gold for $92.

While batteries are more expensive, they are also better than they have ever been. And the warranties reflect that. Some store brand batteries have 5 year warranties now. And many aren't even prorated. For me at least, battery replacement has become very infrequent, and I can't recall the last time I've had to replace a battery while it was still in warranty.

Yep, I had to buy one a couple years ago...first time in many years and was surprised to see prices as high as $200.

I've read that the price of lead, the better construction, and the warranty are a big part of the increase. I will have to admit that I have only purchased one battery in the last decade where as I used to have to buy them every 4-5 years to I can attest to the better quality.

I get what you mean. I still remember, as if it were yesterday, when the price of a good battery (i.e. Interstate Megatron) was $45.

Walmart still sells some low cost batteries and they only have a 2 year warranty. It will last 1.5 - 3 years exactly. They have it down to fail usually 22-26 months.

I've heard a rumor of some sorts about this but then again not sure how true those can be. I was in a AAP a few months ago & the manager I know told me that they would be going up due to something going on in the lead mines. I'm sure though its probably a supply & demand issue.

If you live in a large city, there is usually some battery dealers that service the battery needs of electric tow motors. They often sell generic car batteries. Sometimes called blems or rebuilt. I've had excellent results with them and they only cost $60 out the door. Look for a battery "rebuilder" in your town.

The price of everything has gone up. Even at $125, if the battery lasts 6 years that's only $21/year or about $1.75/month when you amortize it over the life of the battery. If it's that much of an issue it should be easy to find $1.75/month in savings elsewhere.

Quote:
The Doe Run Company’s primary lead smelting facility in Herculaneum, Mo., which has been in operation since 1892, will close its doors by the end of 2013, according to a report in The Southern Illinoisan, which was published in November but has gained new life recently.

The company said in a statement on its website that it decided to close the facility it would cost too much to install the “pollution control technologies” required to reduce sulfur dioxide and lead emissions as mandated by the Clean Air Act.

Last edited:
I just paid $75.00 for an auto zone gold through commercial for my friends 2008 full size Chevy van. If i did not have a commercial platinum account it would have been a lot more.

Oh gee, that's terrible. I suppose I want them to poison the earth because they're here in the USA.
And I can blame it on "Obama". It's never President Obama with some people.

An 1892 vintage factory likely needs refitting. If it's so important, make it a strategic necessity and keep it here like hemp farms for rope.

If the Chinese or anyone else creates unacceptable lead related emissions, forbid their importation.

Oh yeah, the Chinese buy our debt (float our money) so they control the flow of the economy...I forgot for a moment. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back